Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Close Reading
An author considers the
when selecting appropriate words.
The author also thinks about the occasion or circumstance to decide on the tone to use in the writing or speech.
Do you read closely?
Silently read, "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat".
1. Replace underlined words with definitions from the margins.
2. Open a new tab and look up the meaning of the words in bold, if you do not know them.
Listen as the passage is read aloud. Listen for the words:
a) urgency and rigor
b) tyranny and lamentable
How does the definition help you understand the meaning of the passage.
Close Reading Strategies
Marking the text:
Select by highlighting, underlining or annotating (taking notes) on key points.
This helps you actively engage in making meaning in the text.
Reading closely :)
Third Reading :)
Now read the passage again with the focus
being to answer the "Key Ideas and Details"
questions on page 5.
1. Write your answers for each question in a
2. Title of page is "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat".
3. Save/Name your document as Close Reading.