Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Junk Food Tax
Transcript of Junk Food Tax
A junk food tax would bring unintended consequences that are difficult to reverse.
A junk-food tax would give the government too much control over the citizens.
Could this be the answer to our
nation's obesity problems?
Negative impact on the economy
A junk-food tax punishes those who consume junk food in moderation.
About 65% of U.S. adults are not obese.
"The freedom to eat a slice of apple pie might not sound quite as stirring as freedom of speech, but the ability to choose how to live our lives is the most fundamental freedom. What you eat is no one's business but yours (Morriss n.p.)."
It is not the government's job to enforce food choices.
Giving the government additional revenue by taxing junk foods also gives away control of how that money is spent.
high blood pressure
Taxing Junk Food: Many Drawbacks, Few Benefits
What is the goal?
Junk food taxes would do little to reduce obesity anyway.
unemployment may escalate
Increase in other unhealthy alternatives
milkshakes & alcohol