Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Final - Wolfgang Keller Case
Transcript of Final - Wolfgang Keller Case
Hui Ming Wu
Hui Yang (cc) photo by Metro Centric on Flickr (cc) photo by Franco Folini on Flickr (cc) photo by jimmyharris on Flickr (cc) photo by Metro Centric on Flickr Leadership Skills Motivation Problem: Who, what, where? Team Members: • Several instances where Brodsky would quickly give up if situations did not go the way he planned
Ex: Collection of bad debts Procrastination Company: Konigsbrau-TAK (Ukrainian subsidiary) of Konigsbrau A.G., German based brewery of premium beer.
Key Players: Haussler (CEO equivalent), Vladimir Antonov (Chairman), Wolfgang Keller (Managing Director), and Dmitri Brodsky (Commercial Director) Brodsky and Keller have conflicting management styles
Keller is: hands on, impatient, unable to delegate tasks, distrustful of employees.
Brodsky: lacks motivation, emotional when faced with criticism, needs to improve negotiation skills, and lacks ability to learn from mistakes. Main Issues Options Fire Brodsky
Help improve Brodsky's performance
Reorganize around Brodsky to compensate for his inadequacies.
Give Brodsky more autonomy over his department.
Communicate differently with Brodsky—i.e. don’t let personal feelings get in the way.
Give verbal rewards/praise when deserved.
Emphasize importance of Brodsky’s department to the success of the company as a whole. Self-Determination Theory Brodsky enjoys his power role in the company and his part in the marketing and sales, but when told by Keller on how to essentially do the job, he becomes resentful. Recommendation & Implementation Inability to accept criticism •Tends to slack on projects which require taking a high risks, for example: short period of time
• Does not influence and motivate his subordinates Brodsky follows the achievement motivators:
• He likes to solve problems and achieve goals
• He needs challenging, but not impossible projects; tends to slack on projects which require taking risks that are too high or too low for him to take credit in its success
• He is self-confident and driven by self-interest McClelland’s three needs theory Recommendation & Implementation If Keller recognized that Brodsky’s motivation was achievement driven then he could try:
Influence Brodsky by using those same motivators
Use more personal effort than a team effort that would bring out the best qualities he saw in Brodsky
Stressed Brodsky’s analytical skills
Instead of criticizing, discuss the issues Insubordination • Excellent analytical skills, maturity and experiences
• Knowledge and skills needed to performer a specific task
• Seem like unwilling to follow his leader Situational Leadership Theory: Capable but unwilling
If Keller followed the situational leadership process he would try:
• To focus on his relationship with Brodsky instead of the task at first
• Instead of criticizing, discuss the issues
• If he finds Brodsky continues to keep him at a distance then it confirms that the two are too far apart Solution and implementation: • His formal and distant management style doesn't support the new marketing strategy
• He focuses only on his part of the work rather than caring for the whole company
• He cares more about the sales analytical part and not the person relations Recommendation He needs to recognize that the new commercial strategy requires hands-on management style
He needs to learn how to build relationship with distributors
Task significance - Concentrate on improving the meaningfulness of work Implementation Job rotation – He will see how co-dependent all jobs are
Keller needs to learn how to delegate tasks like Brodsky
Brodsky needs to form closer relationships with distributors like Keller
Needs a balance of German-style management and Ukrainian-style management Learn from each other
Learn what Brodsky’s values are in order to set the right goals for Brodsky to achieve
Let Brodsky feel like he is in control of his own actions (stop interfering)
Learn the company’s values Learn the values Needs to work with the differences in their managing styles and stop thinking from the start that his (Keller’s) way is the better way to handle things
Even if his way is better, Keller needs to explain to Brodsky why instead of just ordering him to do things his way Remove the halo effect
Cultural and Personality differences
• Keller – Ukrainian-style management, mixes business life with personal life
• Brodsky – German-style management, keeps business and personal lives separate Problem: • Redesigning the sales force organization took him over six months to complete Recommendation • Simply Ask!
• Empower Brodsky to complete his job by setting specific, measurable, attainable, and timely goals
• Increase Brodsky’s self-confidence Implementation • Weekly / monthly goals that are public
• More likely to accomplish goals that are public
• Reward the person who completed the most goals
• Simple “congratulations and thank-you for your hard work” or have a small party thrown at work
• Goals must be challenging and be completed correctly. Over-confident • Better to have taken advice from Mr. Antonov, an older Ukrainian man
• Does not consult with Brodsky about issues related to his department Recommendations • Change leadership style: Become participative rather than achievement oriented
• Consult with employees when making decisions or solving their problems
• Encourage upward and downward communication Implementation •Downward communication: Keller can send messages about future decisions he might make
•Upward communication: Have bi-weekly or monthly meetings with employees
•Allow employees to express what they like or dislike about new decisions
•Employees can state any issues or ideas they have Problems: • He is unable to delegate task
• He likes to do the jobs himself and his lacks team work skills
• As a leader he lacks trust Recommendation Increase cohesiveness
Develop trust Implementation • Bonding events – At work they can have meetings where they learn to trust and like each other
For example, they can spend an hour watching a movie or playing a game.
• Give workers more responsibilities & if they are not doing something correctly, coach them rather than doing it yourself. Solution & Implementation Lack of judgment
Ex. The annual distributor’s meeting
Lack of responsibility
Not reachable to colleagues
No backup plans for unexpected situation
Recommendation Find out what can motivate him to put more effort to his job with other people
More hand on management
Provide suggestion when it needs
Be open to accept suggestions, ideas, and collaborative efforts from his colleagues
Don’t critical Keller’s interfere Solution and implementation: Theory of Transformational leadership to train Brodsky
Keller need to create a relationship with Brodsky
Lead Brodsky to attend and involved activities to train social skill
Motivate him to work as team and find out achievement as team is better than individual’s
Encourage Brodsky to innovate and change himself with new idea, new ways and new tools to solve problems
Provide personalized care to Brodsky
Keller as Coach, Brodsky as student
Erase the favoritism on Zelenko from Brodsky’s mind Negotiation Lack of negotiation skill
Failing to complete tasks to prove his weakness of negotiation:
the resolution of a pending lawsuit by a top distributor
to collect the debt from a distributor Solution & Implemementation Keller and Brodsky can do:
Go to negotiation classes
Improve communication skill
Discuss together and Observe Keller’s negotiation skills Final Verdict: Do not fire Brodsky
Give Brodsky a 6 month grace period
Give a pay raise and bonus at 6th month if he improves QUESTIONS?