Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of SCI
What is SCI .. ?
It is a spinal cord injury .
Damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal .
Often causes permanent changes in sensation and other body functions below the site of the injury .
result from injury to the :
- Disks of the spinal column, or
- The SC itself .
A Traumatic SCI can result from
A sudden, traumatic
that breaks , dislocates, crushes,
or compresses one or more of
blow to your spine
a gunshot or knife
wound which penetrates and
It also can stem from
cuts the spinal cord.
- Fluid accumulation
within and around
the spinal cord .
Common causes of SCI
• 4 -Motor vehicle accidents.
•1- Falls. (
more than 25 % of SCI
2-Acts of violence (
15 % of SCI
3- Sports and Athletic activities, like impact sports and diving in shallow water (
9 % of SCI
5 -Diseases. Cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis and inflammation of the spinal cord also may result in SCI .
• Symptoms of SCI
SCI depends on
1- site of the injury along the spinal cord
2- vioilence of the injury.
: If all sensory & motor function are lost below the SCI .
: If there is some motor or sensory function below the affected area .
paralysis from a SCI may be :
( quadriplegia) this means your arms, hands, trunk, legs and pelvic organs are all affected by the SCI.
This type affects whole or part of the trunk, legs and pelvic organs.
1- Being male.
( In fact, females account for only about 20 % of traumatic SCI )
2-Being between 16 :30 years old .
3-Being older than 65.
4-Having a bone or joint disorder.
How can we solve these problem ... ??
- Stem Cells
Can develop into many
different cell types in the body
during early life and growth .
embryonic stem cells
Mature stem cells
( MSCs )
- in the Liver of fetal.
- In Yolk Sac
- Post Natal in the Bone marrow.
- there are other common sources include
(unlike embryonic stem cells )
MSCs show no unlimited
mature stem cells .
regeneration in human
promote spinal cord
How stem cell therapy can
stem cell transplantation
of the most
to regenerate the
features required for the functional and structural of impaired neurons restoration are :
The main objective of cell transplantation is
- This promotes are important for replacing lost neurons.
- to elevate neural regeneration and functional neural recovery by
increasing the local regenerative capacity with neurotrophic factors.
Spot Of Hope...
study conducted with chinese participants , investigators tested the transplantation of SCs in six patients and observed the results for over 5 years .
. MRI scans revealed that the myelomalacia and cystic degeneration had also been reduced.
they reported neither
worsening nor improvement. They only reported
functional recovery and improved quality of life.
- Case had a fracture-dislocation at C5 and loss of sense and movement below the injury site.
- The investigators transplanted autologous BMSCs by lumbar puncture 13 days after injury and evaluated the patient for 6 months.
after 1-3 months :
some motor and sensory improvement (
relative to pre-transplantation scores)
after 6 months
They continued to accompany the patient after the
period and reported that he was
able to sit in a wheelchair and even drive it slowly .
they observed a
adverse effects following
- chest pain and tightness .
-mild fever .
-musculoskeletal pain .
-painful neck and shoulder .
-upper respiratory infection .
-urinary incontinence .
-low thyroid stimulating hormone .
Safety of MSc
They are Safe to Infuse In Humans With no Acute Toxicity And no Ectopic tissue Formation .
The field of stem cell therapy and neural repair has seen important progress in recent years.
Abundant pre-clinical data support the notion that cell transplantation promotes repair in the SCI animal model.
finally .... stem cells culture is still under study .
- Woodbury D, Schwarz EJ, Prockop DJ, et al. Adult human bone marrow stem cells differentiate into neurons. J Neurosci Res. 2000;61:364–370. [
Kruger GM, Mosher JT, Bixby S, et al. Neural stem cells in the adult but undergo changes in self-renewal, neuronal subtype potential, and factor responsiveness. Neuron. 2002;35:657–669.
PMC free article