Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of NUTRITION
Food is an energy resource and there are some foods that have more energy in them than others.
We all enjoy and eat food but WHY do we NEED it and what does our body do with it?
FOR GROWTH AND REPAIR
TO STAY HEALTHY
You need food to work your muscles and other body organs. Food is the body’s fuel that keeps it going, without it the body would not work.
There are lots of reactions taking place in the cells of your body to keep you healthy and keep your body working. Certain chemicals are needed for these reactions which can only be taken in from the food you eat.
In order for your body to grow you need to make new cells. New cells are also needed to replace old or damaged cells. Your body makes these new cells from the chemicals in your food
There are six nutrition groups found in the food we eat
PYRAMID OF NUTRIENTS
GUIDELINE DAILY AMOUNTS
FRUIT & VEGETABLES
It is very important to eat fruit and vegetables. These foods help our digestion and have lots of vitamins and minerals.
MILK & dairy products
These foods have calcium, which is important for our bones and teeth.
FATS & SUGARS
These foods are not very good for us so it is important no to eat them very often.
Meat, fish and eggs:
This group alse includes beans and nuts. These foods have proteinand this help us grow.
Bread and cereals:
Potatoes are in this group too. These foods give us energy.
Nutrition is a process by which living things obtain and transform matter and energy from their environment.
Living organisms nedd food for growth, movement, respiration and other important life processes.
* I want to make a sandwich. I have some cheese and ________
* I love all kinds of _______ (beef, pork, chicken and lamb)
* Carrots, peas and broccoli are all ________
* You can find lots of ___________ C in oranges
* Iron is a very important__________ You can find it in green vegetables like spinach.
* __________ is a mineral you can find in milk and other dairy products.
* ________are white and hard. There are lots of them inside our bodies.
* I want to make a sandwich. I have some cheese and ________BREAD
* I love all kinds of _______ (beef, pork, chicken and lamb) MEAT
* Carrots, peas and broccoli are all ________ VEGETABLES
* You can find lots of ___________ C in oranges VITAMINS
* Iron is a very important__________ You can find it in green vegetables like spinach. MINERAL
* __________ is a mineral you can find in milk and other dairy products. CALCIUM
* ________are white and hard. There are lots of them inside our bodies. BONES
1. What nutrient is found in pasta and rice?
a) Lipids b) carbohydrates c) protein
2. What can happen if you don't eat enough?
a) Obesity b) Starvation c) Diarrhea
3. What can happen if you eat too much?
a) Starvation b) Deficiency disease c) Obesity
4. Who needs more energy each day?
a) Athletes b) babies c) teenagers
5. What are the correct units of energy?
a) Joules b) kilograms c) Calories
6. What does a deficiency in vitamin A cause?
a) Scurvy b) Goitre c) Blindness
7. What does a deficiency in iron cause?
a) Anemia b) Rickets c) Scurvy
8. What is the main reason why we need protein in our diet?
a) For energy b) To provide roughage c) For growth and repair
9. What are the nutrients needed for energy?
a) Carbohydrate and fat b) Carbohydrate and fibre c) Fat and minerals
10. Which nutrient cannot be digested?
a) Fibre b) Fat c) Protein
* Fats and sugars
* Proteins: Meat, fish and eggs
* Milk and dairy products