Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of ASEAN
Aims & Objectives
"One Vision, One Identity, One Community"
Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
Established on 8th August, 1967 in Bangkok, Thailand, with the signing of the ASEAN Declaration (Bangkok Declaration).
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, or ASEAN, is a political and economic organization that sought to promote regional cooperation and peaceful negotiations in cases of conflicts.
Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand were the founder members.
Brunei Darussalam, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia have, since then, also become a part of this association.
1. To accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development
2. To promote regional peace and stability
3. To promote active collaboration and mutual assistance
4. To provide assistance in the field of educational, technical and professional sphere
5. To maintain close relationships with other organizations
ASEAN POLITICAL-SECURITY COMMUNITY (APSC)
• Peace, Justice, Harmony and Democracy
• Peaceful resolving of differences
• CONFLICT PREVENTION, RESOLUTION, PEACE BUILDING, MECHANISMS
ASEAN ECONOMIC COMMUNITY (AEC)
• High competition level, Globalized economy, Single market, Equity, Privatization
• Enhanced consultation on policies
• 1st March,2009 (14th ASEAN Summit)
• Guided by the ASEAN Charter
• Timeline – 2015
• 20th November, 2007 (13th ASEAN Summit)
• Guiding the ASEAN Economic community 2015
ASEAN SOCIO-CULTURAL COMMUNITY (ASCC)
• People-oriented, Socially responsible, Unity, Tolerance
• Uniting identity
• Cultural and Natural resource development
• Humanistic dimension
• Three pillars of ASEAN Community
• 1st March 2009 (14th ASEAN Summit)
The importance of the ASEAN Charter can be seen in the following contexts
New political commitment at the top level
New ASEAN bodies
Two new openly-recruited DSGs
More ASEAN meetings
Leaders welcomed the "Act East" emphasis in India's "Look East Policy"
Looked forward to the third ASEAN-India PoA (2016-2021)
Issues related to escalating terrorism around the globe
Raise trade between ASEAN and India to $100 million USD by 2015
Working closely together on regional and international issues.
ASEAN INDIA SUMMIT 2014
To develop an integrated and well-functioning intermodal transport in ASEAN and the wider region.
To put in place strategies, agreements and legal and institutional mechanisms to effectively realize the ASEAN connectivity, including those to facilitate trade in goods and service, and the appropriate types of investment policies and legal frameworks to ensure that the investments are protected to attract the private sector investments
To develop initiatives that promote and invest in education and life-long learning, support human resource development, encourage innovation, and entrepreneurship, promote ASEAN cultural exchanges, and promote tourism and the development of related industries
ASEAN Transport Ministers (ATM) have adopted a plan to develop AHN (ASEAN highway network) in Hanoi
SKRL (Singapore-Kunming Rail link) was proposed in the 5th ASEAN summit in 1995. It covers several routes through Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand-Cambodia-Vietnam-China.
ASEAN is generously endowed with 51000 km of navigable inland waters
Vision of a concert of Southeast Asia nations
Hanoi Plan of Action (1997) first step to reach the goals
Zone of Peace, Freedom and Neutrality by 2020
Maintain economic and financial stability in the region
Strengthening of bond with the Dialogue Partners and as well as other regional organizations
H.E. Le Luong Minh from Vietnam
The Secretary-General of ASEAN from 2013 -2017
Unsuccessful in living upto its promises
Very high expectations
Difference in time zones and cultural barriers