Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Stats - Lesson #4
Transcript of Stats - Lesson #4
What is Standard Deviation?
1. A measure of spread
2. Shows how much variation (dispersion) exists from the mean.
- A low standard deviation indicates that the data points tend to be very close to the mean.
3. The square root of the variance
By hand once, calculator ever after...
The Way out
1. Put your data into a list on your calculator
2. In the Stats menu, go to calc and to one variable stats and find s. Voila!
Calculating Standard Deviation
A picture is worth a thousand words
Left - same mean, different standard deviations
Right - Different means, same standard deviation
Why is it divided by n-1?
What do you notice about these two graphs?
The standard deviation is NOT resistant because we are finding the average distance to the mean and the outliers are included in that calculation
Why divide by n-1 instead of n if we are finding the average?