Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Writing Lessons
The body of a paragraph has sentences with information that supports the topic sentence. It is important to remember that every sentence in the body must be connected in some way to the topic sentence.
The topic sentence is one sentence that tells the main idea of the whole paragraph. This sentence is usually the first sentence of the paragraph.
The Body (Supporting Details)
What is a Paragraph?
The concluding sentence is the end of the paragraph. It is a brief summary of the informaion in the paragraph. Some paragraphs, especially short paragraphs, do not hav a concluding sentence.
Photo credits: 'horizon' by pierreyves @ flickr
My Favorite Color
It is obvious that my favorite color is blue. I have blue shirts. I wear blue jeans almost every day. I have three pairs of light blue tennis shoes. I own a blue car, and my computer is blue. Other colors are nice, but I like blue the best.
What is the main topic or main idea of this paragraph?
What is the topic sentence?
The writer gives five examples of blue things. What five blue things does the writer have?
If there is a concluding sentence, write it.
My Favorite City
_____________________________________________. I love to see all the interesting things there. The city is big, exciting, and full of life. I always visit the Embpire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. I also visit Chinatown. At night, I go to shows on Broadway. The food in the city is excellent, too. I truly enjoy New York City.
Pasta, Pasta, Pasta
______________________________________________________________________. Pasta tastes great. sometimes I eat it plain. I also like it with butter or parmesan cheese. Another reason I like pasta is the variety. Pasta includes spaghetti, macaroni, vermicelli, ravioli, lasagna, and many other kinds. In addition, pasta is very easy to prepare. I can make pasta in less than 10 minutes. Finally pasta is a very healthy food for me. A plate of pasta has about 300 calories, but it has only 3 grams of fat. I love to eat pasta every day!
Computers Can Be a Student's Best Friend
Computers are excellent machines to help students. Before computers, students had to do their school work on typewriters. Typewriters did not allow them to make major changes easily, and students had to use special correction fluid to fix mistakes. Today computers let students move information around without retyping it and correct errors with little effort. Computers also make research more convenient for students. For example, before computers, students had to go to the library. Many times they would read for four or five hours in several sources before finding useful information. However, students can now use the Internet from their home to obtain the information that they need much more quickly. Some computers are very expensive. My friend bought a computer that cost almost three thousand dollars. Computers have certainly made student's lives much easier.
1. What is the topic sentence?
2. What is the general topic of the paragraph?
3. Are all the sentences related to the topic? If not, identify the unrelated sentences.
4. Is the first line indented?
5. What is the concluding sentence?
(A sentence without a verb is called a fragment. The word fragment means a piece of something that has been broken off.)
1. Where the bank?
2. Japan many different kinds of cars.
3. Wheat in Argentina.
4. The house on the corner not a garage.
5. Mr. Peters French and Italian.
is, produces, is grown, does not have, speaks
Predicting Paragraph Content from the Topic Sentence (Controlling Ideas)
What kind of information do you think is in this paragraph?
TS: If you are looking for an interesting career, think about becoming a flight attendant.
If you are looking for an interesting career, think about becoming a flight attendant. First of all, flight attendants receive a large amount of training for their job. They learn about interpersonal skills, customer service, and safety. Second, every time flight attendants go to work, their scenery changes. They could be in Bali one day and Hawaii the next. Sometimes they even get to stay one or two days in a city before flying home. In addition, flight attendants get bargain prices on airline tickets for vacation. Imagine spending no more than dollars for any flight in the United States! Finally, flight attendats get to meet a wide variety of peiple from all over the world. For a truly exciting career, consider becoming a flight attendant because the benefits are worth it.
Meaning of this song's words is easy and impressed. Also, this song's melody is good to sing along with everyone.
Because of simple ketword, advertisement can send cleary.
First, the ad is humorous. A song melody in the ad is accustomed to hearing and fuuny.
And singer's voice is also funny.
In my opinion Hyundai hybrid car ad is affective.
First of all this ad well appealing hybrid car is eco-friendly and economic.
Secondly this ad makes the viewer's mind relaxed.
Finally it can give information to customer who wants to buy a new car.
Hyundai hybrid car ad makes people to remember for a long time.
dong-wha pharmaceuticals cf is very effective. this is a 1960`s ad. i like dong-wha pharmaceuticals advertisement. at that time, because there was a lot of tv ads that advertising itself was unconventional. another cute little doll comes in its advertising. the doll came out with a beautiful voice. "careful cold" she says. i am very worried about the ad people think because the doll is impressed by appearance. and "careful cold" the tone of the memories remain for a long time to hear it to believe it`s. in short, bold and memorable ads have a word to entice consumers to think that the most effective. for these reasons, this is the secret of your success. this ad for dong-wha pharmaceuticals is effective because it have popular in an era spoken word.
I think te advertisement of coca cola is very effective. Because first in advertisement A man drinks coke and shiver his body, this shows the coke's fizzy taste effectively. second the shivering sound is attractive. Finally we get addicted this advertisement's humor. In conclusion, the ad is effective because we keep watching it until the end and we remember it later.
I like apple(ipad) advertisement.
One reason, it is very simple. There are just show product.
other reason is don't appear people.
As a result advertisement has to simple.
The TV ad for 'low carbon, green growth', common profit ad, is very errective.
First of all, its words is unique. There are two verbs for each sentence, the two expressions are same but meanings are different. Second, this ad's background song is very easy. So, you can sing along very well. Finally, at the end of the ad caption reads: "The figure looks similar, but the result is opposite." This message include all the words. In conclusion, the ad is effecrive because it makes me remember 'low carbon, green growth.'
'Toward the people' TV ad of SKtelecom is very effective. There are three reason. First, at that ad, parents and children make appearance, not popular stars. Because customer are more sensitive for parents and children. Second, this ad have short story. Short story is more impressed than product introduction. Several ago, there is SKtelecom ad that contain father and dead daughter. So far this ad impress people. Finally, this ad is helpful in developing firm image. People consider SKtelecom very kind and very familiar. Eventually, for these ad effect, many people use SKtelecom.
The TV ad for woncashing, loan company in Korea, is very effective.
First of all, ad appeal four pretty girs wear yellow dress and dance crazily, it catches your attention.
Second the ad's message say company phone number while it is end. it say company number what which like listening to the song. 1588 - 8210 is remember easy to your meomory and you can loan easy to phone calling. It is succeed loan comapny in Korea.
Finally you can see the ad's almost cable TV commercial. In conclusion, the ad is effective because you can see this ad then you remeber the loan company phone number
I think the recent effetive ad is T.O.P (coffee) advertise. First of all, there are two popular movie stars in this ad. so it catchs many people's attention. And the story of the ad associate with the product. it looks like sweet coffee. the two stars kiss sweetly, and they converse with mellow words. Fact,the reason of that I thik this ad is effective, the actor of the ad. he's name is Won-bin, he is very handsome and he has many of women fans. so this many fans buy the product why just he advertise. In conclusion, I think that the best important factor of ad is choice of model. in this point, this T.O.P ad is effective.
The television ad for Urusa, a invigorating drink, is very effective. First, people are addicted to its sound effect. You can hear interesting sound from this, and you will remember product's name easily. Second, the ad uses famous soccer player. this will make you positive and it can arouse your curiosity. so you will buy it without reserve. Finally, it is simple. it don't have any difficult message and situation. it makes all the people to watch. This ad for Urusa is effective because it makes us want to buy the products
I think advertisements are good way of promoting firms.The first reason is that advertisements can transmit their own message to the global world.By transmitting their own messages,they can succeed in improving their images.The second is that many firms can benefit from the advertisement.On watching the advertisement,people will be leaded to the product and the profut of firms will increase.Finally,advertisements can be the very breakthrough under the intensive competition.Because of advertiser breakthrough,people have no chice but to buy the product.So I think advertisements are effective.
The 참이슬 soju ad is very effective.
First of all, it is a spoof of a TV show named 'I am a singer'.
So it makes me interesting. Also it feels like 'I am a singer', so it is familiarity.
Another reason is that three famous singer sings a CM song.
So you can feel each three attractiveness.
Fimally, this CM song is changed song letter from DJ DOC's song.
It is so easy to remember. And it was left in my memory long time.
The 참이슬 soju ad makes me want to drink.
Dios is a name of refrigerator. It is advertised with womens' happy.
An acttress say, "casue I'm woman, I'm happy".
Company of Dios appeal women to buy it.
And the slogan has been populor.
However, most house wives do not earn money.
The TV ad for SK-Ⅱ, a Signature Cream for ladies who want to be younger, is very effective. First, Su jeong Im who is actress appear the ad and she say, "I want to have skin that I had thn years ago. Because I use this cream, I am younger than before!". Many ladies may think that their skin will be beautiful like Su jeong Im if they use that. Second, When you look at the ad, You will be impressed with the scene that consist of beautiful combination of red and white. This mood also lead ladies to buy that. Finally, Su jeong Im say, " I have experienced that's effect! The result is me of presant!". Maybe many ladies who hear that can not but buying the cream. This ad for Signature Cream is effective because it makes ladies want to buy that to have beautiful skin.
The newspaper ad for YuhanClorox is very effective.
First of all, it is a bid ad.
The ad fill one full page in the newspaper.
Because of its size, the ad catches your attention.
Second reason is the ad have proper composition.
The ad consist of photograph that have kid and moving sentence, product's picture, and paragraph which explain technique.
So consumers can have interst.
The Last reason is my clean eyes.
If you see the ad, you can have brief images and impressive images.
So maybe you cannot simply turn page.
When you see this ad, you never get out of one.
The advertiser for Energizer is not effective.
first of all it's wrong that Energizer Bunny is more effective than Jacko.
Becouse, customers may buy that product for another factors.
For example, they need Energizers that years.
And jacko had illness, So he didn't broadcast clearly.
finally, It doesn't advertise to country that dislike rabbit.
So it is wrong that advertiser.
Topic Sentence: The TV advertisement for olleh is really effective.
Reason1:It is a ad with a song. so the ad get a attention of consumer.
Reason2:cartoon of the ad makes consumer laugh
Reason3:"olleh" of ad sound makes its brand name easy to remember.
Concluding Sentence:AS a result, ad for olleh is effective because of these factor
My favorite beverage!
I like the coca-cola.
First, taste is very good.
exactly I drinking the coca-cola when go to the movie.
Second, the coca-cola ads is fuuny.
the ads show a polar-bear to me.
bear drinking a cola that is so cute and funny.
Finally, coca-cola is popular.
so many people love coca-cola more than pepsicola.
In conclusion, the coca-cola is perfect beverage!
Yesterday, I saw a Orange Juice CF impressively on the TV. Famous singer has appeared there. She was Park Jung Hyun. Nowadays, Park Jung Hyun is one of the most popular singers. And She has very kind image too. So I felt more impressed that CF. In that CF, Park Jung Hyun is sining passionately. And She is holding a bottle of Company's Juice instead of mic. This scene is fresh to me. But most important thing is that she sang perfectly. When I saw that CF, I wanted to buy their products.
I think the sprite ad is very well-made.
Fist of all, it has shocking scene. When the people looked tired in the ad go into desert, I'm shocked.
I haven't seen people go swimming in the desert. This is fresh idea and catches my attention.
And the ad uses contrasting expression. when the people in the ad go into desert, desert turn into cool water.
this makes me feel cool.
Finally the ad uses effective sound of sparklig water and ices clinking. this emphasizes the product's coolness
by attracting consumer's the sense of hearing and taste.
Because just seeing the sprite ad makes me feel cool, the ad is well-made.
I saw a very effective advertisement for a vew car on television. First of all, the ad is fashionable. You can see that this new car's design is so elegance. Most of people look car;s design before consider performance of this. Secondly, the ad is surprising. This car is fast like a cheetah. This car speed is speedy than you everseen. Finally, the ad is utility. Chair is soft like a sofa and you can drive peacefully with no noise. Other cars are noise with outside of cars. As a result, the ad is effective because it will not make you upset when you buy this car.
Woongjin Coway advertisement is very effective.
first of all, this AD can receive attention easily because famous singer like girls' generation appear on TV.
if you girls' generation pan you will have more favor.
second, this AD is the use of sound effect, such as music to make us listen.
finally, when the scene changed they shift constantly. so this AD have a variety and you can concentrate.
this AD is effective because it makes me remind.
(cc) image by anemoneprojectors on Flickr
Men and women differ fundamentally in the way they use language to communicate:
1. Language and communication matter more to women than to men; women talk more than men.
2. Women are more verbally skilled than men.
3. Men's goals in using language tend to be about getting things done, whereas women's tend to be about making connections to other people.
4. Men talk more about things and facts, whereas women talk more about people, relationships and feelings.
5. Men's way of using language is competitive, reflecting their general interest in acquiring and maintaining status; women's use of language is cooperative, reflecting their preference for equality and harmony.
For the Writing Test, you should...
write in the paragraph form (ind______; Do not list ideas.).
write a clear [topic sentence] + [supporting sentences] + [concluding sentence].
use your own ideas/ different content from that in the book.
write 8-12 sentences.
check punctuation, spelling, etc.
[Identifying Good Topic Sentences]
Topic: Write a paragraph regarding how men
and women communicate differently.
Grammar & Vocabulary
1. I think men and women have many dirrerences.
2. Men and Women use different stlye language.
3. Men and Women have a different speech style.
4. Men and women sometimes have problems in communication with each other. It's because there are some differences in the male and female use of language.
5. Men and Women sometimes have difficulties in their communcation with each other. Because Men and Wonmen have some differecen in use of language.
6. Men and women have differences in their communication.
7. Men and Women have different ways of talking.
a rational/a emtional (?)
a man/men; a woman/women
women are logical/ men are illogical when they speak
Thesis Statement: ____________________________
Main idea: __________________________________
Supporting details: ___________________________
Main idea: __________________________________
Supporting details: ___________________________
An Outline of An Essay
1. a) Americans drink about 350 million cups of coffee every day.
b) Coffee is the drink of choice for many Americans.
c) Most Americans drink coffee in order to wake up in the morning.
2. a) Yesterday was the tenth of April.
b) Yesterday I spilled spaghetti sauce on my shirt during my lunch break.
c) Yesterday I had a terrible day at work.
3. a) My girlfriend and I had a wonderful time at Busch Gardens theme park yesterday.
b) WE rode three different roller coasters.
c) My girlfriend and I enjoyed seeing the tigers and the monkeys.
4. a) In the United States, 721,000 high school athletes participated in track and field last year.
b) The sport of track and field is very old.
c) The sport of track and field has increased in popularity in recent years.
5. a) My iguana's trip to the vet's office was a catastrophe.
b) My iguana scratched the vet when she tried to pick it up.
c) People do not like iguanas.
The following topic sentences are too general. Rewrite them and add controlling ideas.
1. Smoking is bad.
2. It is important to work hard.
3. The Smithsonian Institution's meseums are located in Washington, D.C.
Choose the best topic sentence. Underline the controlling idea in that sentence.
The controlling idea in your topic sentence guides the paragraph and lets the reader know what the paragraph is going to be about. The topic is limited by the controlling idea--it narrows the topic.
SUVs are becoming more popular than compact cars.
Electric staplers are easier to use than other types of stablers.
Las Vegas is a very popular vacation destination in the United States.
There are three things that people need to be aware of before swimming in the ocean.
Supporting Detail Sentences
Think of supporting detail sentences as helpers for the topic sentence: They describe, explain, clarify, or give examples of the topic sentence. Supporting sentences support and explain the topic. They answer questions such as Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How? They explain the topic sentence in greater detail and give the reader more information.
Each paragraph that you write must have enough supporting details to make the main idea clear to the reader. Likewise, a good writer makes sure that each supporting sentence is related to the topic and its controlling ideas.
Identify whether the following are Topic sentence or Supporting sentence.
1. Many elderly people enjoy playing golf.
2. Emergency towing services are great to have in case your car breaks down.
3. Cell phones allow parents to stay in better contact with their children.
4. Golf gives them an opportunity to exercise and socialize at the same time.
5. They can help you change a flat tire.
6. As long as his or her cell phone is turned on, a child can be reached at any time.
Topic Sentence Supporting Sentence
1. Many elderly people enjoy playing golf. Golf gives them an opportunity to exercise and socialize at the same time.
2. Emergency towing services are great to have in case your car breaks down. They can help you change a flat tire.
3. Cell phones allow parents to stay in better contact with their children. As long as his or her cell phone is turned on, a child can be reached at any time.
Topic Sentence Supporting Sentence
1. There are many support services for students at the university. These services, such as tutoring, are generally free for students. explain
2. I will never forget my childhood home. The house had a large entrance with a spiral staircase in the center.
3. Note-taking is one of the most important study skills to learn. Reviewing good notes before a test will help students become more familiar with the information.
4. Jogging is not as easy as it appears. Ninety-seven percent of people cannot jog three miles without stopping.
5. North Carolina has many natural resources. One type of emerald can be found in North Carolina.
Creating Questions Leading to Supporting Details
Read each topic sentence. What information would you expect the write to include in the paragraph? For each topic sentence, write two questions that the supporting sentences should answer. Use Who? What? When? Where? or How? questions.
1. Pesticides should not be used on farm products.
Why shouldn’t pesticides be used on farm products? What do pesticides do to farm products? What kinds of pesticides?
2. My boyfriend and I met in a very unlikely place.
3. Jeju Island should be designated one of the 7 Wonders of the World (7 Wonders of Nature).
Unity and Coherence
in a paragraph means that all the sentences are related to the topic sentence and its controlling idea. Good writers stay on topic by making sure that each supporting sentence relates to the topic sentence.
A piece of writing is said to have
when all of its parts are organized and flow smoothly and logically from one idea to the next. Writers strive for coherence so that the reader can follow along more easily. Three important features of coherence are:
-repetition of key words
-use of transitional words and phrases
a. He starts his day by putting on his black cape and tall black hat.
b. When he arrives, he puts on a performance that includes jokes, card tricks, illusions, and magic tricks.
c. When his performance ends and the audience is happy Michael returns home, satisfied that he has done his job as a magician well.
d. Michael's typical day at work is far from ordinary.
e. He then grabs his magic wand and gets into his car and drives to a different location each day, usually a birthday party or other special event.
1. What is the topic of the paragraph?
2. What is the writer's purpose?
3. What key words (nouns or pronouns) does the writer repeat to keep the reader focused on the topic?
(1) Cleaning your room is not difficult if you follow some simple guidelines. (2) First, you must pick up all of your clothes off the floor. (3) Then you need to decide which clothes are dirty and which clothes are clean and put them in their appropriate places. (4) It is important to wash your clothes with good-quality laundry detergent to keep them looking neat and clean. (5) After that, you should put away any items that are out of place. (6) The next step is to dust all of your furniture, such as your nightstand or dresser. (7) The final step is to mop or vacuum the floor, depending on its surface. (8) Once you have finished these steps, you can relax as you think about your good work.
Cherry blossom festival is very big internal event in Korea. This festival is widespread to all Koreans. So many people who live in province came there too. Cherry blossom festival was scheduled for mid April. The duration was Apr.22th~Apr.27th. Cherry blossom festival was held in multiple venues. Many ad for the festival was in Internet. The most people are eager to go the festival. Especially, Many people intensively came the festival in Yeouido about 4 million peoples. I care about seeing flower. So I went the festival too in Yeouido with my friend. On the other hand, most people were couples. I was sad. So I’m looking forward to going with my boyfriend next year. Consequently, I really recommend this Cherry blossom festival.
The cherry blossom festival is a big (domestic) event in Korea. This festival is well-known to all Koreans. So many people from different provinces come and enjoy the festival. Cherry blossom festivals are scheduled for mid-April. This event took place from April 22th to April 27th this year. The duration for the event is usually for 6-7 days. Cherry blossom festivals are held in multiple venues, for example, Yeouido Seoul, Jinhae, Gyeonpodae, etc. (Related information can be easily found on the Internet.) Many people are eager to see the festival. Especially, people go to the festival in Yeouido among many locations; about 4 million people came to see it this year and I was one of the spectators. I like to take care of flowers and enjoy watching them. So I went the Yeouido festival with my friend and enjoyed ourselves. One thing bothered me, however, was that most young people were in couples, and that made me so sad and jealous. So I’m looking forward to going with my boyfriend next year. In conclusion, I really recommend this cherry blossom festival to everyone.
1. The cherry blossom festival is a big (domestic) event in Korea.
2. This festival is well-known to all Koreans.
3. So many people from different provinces come and enjoy the festival.
4. Cherry blossom festivals are scheduled for mid-April.
This event took place from April 22th to April 27th this year.
5. The duration for the event is usually for 6-7 days.
6. Cherry blossom festivals are held in multiple venues, for example, Yeouido Seoul, Jinhae, Gyeonpodae, etc. (Related information can be easily found on the Internet.)
7. Many people are eager to see the festival.
8. Especially, people go to the festival in Yeouido among many locations; about 4 million people came to see it this year and I was one of the spectators.
9. I like to take care of flowers and enjoy watching them.
10. So I went the Yeouido festival with my friend and enjoyed ourselves.
11. One thing bothered me, however, was that most young people were in couples, and that made me so sad and jealous.
12. So I’m looking forward to going with my boyfriend next year.
13. In conclusion, I really recommend this cherry blossom festival to everyone.
Academic English 1B
Writing Rubric for Midterm Writing Test