Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Department of Health and Human Services
Transcript of Department of Health and Human Services
3) Promotes Autism Awareness by informing the public about what autism is and a wide-arrange of subjects on autism. 4) Is the supervisor of medicine . Determines what medicine can be available to the public, and researches, develops, and tweaks medicines. 5) Works to find cures for diseases like cancer, heart ailments, AIDS, and many more diseases. It does this by supporting over 38,000 research projects nationwide. What Department of Health and Human Services does: 1) Stops Medicare fraud by posting websites to help you cope if you are struck with identity fraud, and gives you detailed tips on how to prevent identity fraud. Kathleen Sebelius is the Secretary of The Department of Health and Human Services. She has been Secretary since 2009. Halle Kaufax, Mina Baucom, Caelan Barranta Former President Dwight D. Eisenhower ACTION: Info: Department of Health and Human Services seal Current Concerns Awareness for Cardiovascular disease is being raised through American Heart month (February). It renews the nation’s commitment to fighting this deadly disease and increase public awareness of how to prevent cardiovascular illnesses. Cardiovascular disease, including heart attack and stroke, is the number one cause of death in America. 700,000 people die of heart disease in the United States annually, which is about 29% of all U.S. deaths. Before 1979, the Department of Health and Human Services was called the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare (HEW) Budget Amount of $ to cut off
1,427,880,000 Plans What to Keep Areas to Be Cut Medicare- According to President Obama's
State of the Union Address, a numerous amount
of "baby boomers" will turn 65 this year, which
means that cutting from the Medicare
budget would not be a great idea. Administration on Aging- Like Medicare,
the Administration of Aging would help
benefit the numerous amount of "baby
boomers" that will turn 65 this year. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention- With the heavy spread of serious diseases like the flu, cutting off from the CDC would not keep America healthy. Only 46% of the population have received the flu vaccine, leaving the majority of people prone to the deadly disease. Indian Health Services- Even if it is important
to take care of the Alaskan natives and American
Indians, 172.9 million dollars is too much to spend when it could be used for areas like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in which its budget is 45.1 million dollars.
Amount Cut- 90 million dollars Health Resources and Services Administration-
With a profuse amount of troops being injured
and many needing affordable healthcare, the
Health Resources and Services should not be
cut. Office of the Inspector General- Although
health frauds and tracking down criminals
are important issues, focusing on diseases,
recent outbreaks, and taking care of elders are fare more important right now.
Amount cut- 10 million dollars National Institutes of Health- With outbreaks
of the flu, the National Institutes of Health helps
to research and create new cures. They also help
to cure cancers and conduct new studies. What would happen if HHS
ceased to exist? Without the Health and Human Services, cures for many diseases would not be created, resulting in the increase of sicknesses. Doctors would not know what to work on/ research and workers in the medical field would be affected negatively. The loss of jobs would occur and the rate of new medical technologies being created would decrease. Dangerous drugs and infected food would not be recognized by people. In conclusion, the Department of Health and Human Services is very important to the health and safety of US citizens. Bibliography Administration for Children and Families - The safety and health of children and families is very important which is why there are already many programs and small businesses out there to help them.
Amount cut- 131 million dollars Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration- Crime rates relating to drug abuse have dropped, which means that spending 69.6 million dollars may be reduced. However, as suicide rates increase to 12.5%, the amount of money cut should not be overdone.
Amount cut- 35 million dollars Medicare- Although the rate of baby
boomers turning 65 will increase
drastically this year, many of the elderly
on Medicare will die too. Spending 3970.6
million dollars for Medicare consumes
the majority of the HHS budget, and around
$1,427,880,000 will need to be cut from the
Amount cut- 380.44 million dollars. Jobs- Jobs in all the fields will be cut
Amount cut- 641.44 million dollars HHS Enterprise Level Initiatives - All the departments can benefit from the resources this bureau has to offer but these days more and more people are gaining these special skills. As technology is taking a more prevalent role in our society, many people now hold the same skills as an IT.
Amount Cut: 80 million dollars The Secretary: "Autism Awareness Month." People. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://celebritybabies.people.com/2008/04/10/autism-awarenes/>.
"Department of Health and Human Services Logo." Health Impact News Daily. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/new-government-report-fda-approved-drugs-not-safe/>.
"Doctor Examines Elderly Heart Patient." Barnes Jewish Hospital. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://barnesjewishblog.org/new-heart-valve-comes-with-promise-new-risks/>.
"Dwight D. Eisenhower." Wikipedia. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower>.
Health Care. Department of Health and Human Services, Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://www.healthcare.gov/news/brochures/for-you.pdf>.
"Influenza Vaccination." Center for Disease Control. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/h1n1_narcolepsy_pandemrix.html>.
"Kathleen Sebelius Official Portrait." Wikepedia. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Sebelius>.
"Kids Doctor Cutie Toddler." Kids Halloween Costumes. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://www.kidshalloweencostumes4u.com/kids-doctor-cutie-toddler.html>.
MCneil, Donald G., Jr. "Flu Reach Epidemic Level." New York Times [New York] 11 Jan. 2013: n. pag. Web. 11 Feb. 2013. <http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/12/health/us-flu-deaths-reach-epidemic-levels-but-may-be-peaking.html?_r=0>.
"One Nation under Medication." Lawyers with Depression. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://www.lawyerswithdepression.com/articles/one-nation-under-medication/>.
"Scientist Looking through Test Tube." Deposit Photos. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://depositphotos.com/8179444/stock-photo-Scientist-looking-at-test-tube.html>.
"Senior Citizens Oraganization." I Love to Know Senior Citizens. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://seniors.lovetoknow.com/senior-citizen-organizations-that-oppose-aarp>.
Warner, Jennifer. "US Leads the World in Illegal Drug Use." CBS News. Web. 20 Feb. 2013. <http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500368_162-4222322.html>.
The White House. Web. 12 Feb. 2013. <http://www.whitehouse.gov/healthreform/relief-for-americans-and-businesses#healthcare-menu>. Food and Drug Administration - Although he FDA is important, the US has not had a bad outbreak of any bacterial infestation since the 2011 cantaloup listeria blow-up. But, over 22 million Americans are using illegal drugs, making the US the leaders of illegal drug use around the world.
Amount Cut - 60 million Final Amount Spent After Deductions $5,711,520,000