Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Personality and Values
Transcript of Personality and Values
- Observer ratings Heredity vs. Environment Personality Determinants What is heredity? What roles does it play in our personality? Characteristics that describe an individual’s behavior, such as aggressive, loyal, shy, ambitious are called personality traits. The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) is a questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how people perceive the world and make decisions.
It’s the most widely used personality assessment instrument in the world. Myers-Briggs Type Indicator What is Personality? International Values Hofstede’s five value dimensions of national culture The original work is more than 30 years old and was based on a single company (IBM).
Reducing the number of cultural values to just five? Drawbacks of Hofstede’s five value dimensions of national culture The Global Leadership and Organizational Behavior Effectiveness (GLOBE) began updating Hofstede’s research in 1993.
Main differences: GLOBE framework added
1) Human orientation
2) Performance orientation The Globe Framework for Assessing Cultures VALUES If a person likes power, is that good or bad? What is value ? Value system A hierarchy based on a ranking of an individual's values in terms of their intensity. Linking an Individual’s Personality and Values to the Workplace Person-Job Fit Identifies six personality types and proposes that the fit between personality type and occupational environment determines satisfaction and turnover. Holland’s Typology of Personality
and Congruent Occupations Occupational Personality Person-Job Fit Theory (key points) - Appear to be intrinsic difference in personality among individuals.
- Different types of jobs.
- People in jobs congruent with their personality should be more satisfied and less likely to voluntarily resign than people in incongruent jobs. - Employees’ personalities fit with the overall organization’s culture.
- People are attracted to and selected by organizations that match their values, and they leave organization that are not compatible with their personalities Person-Organization Fit Linking an Individual’s Personality and Values to the Workplace - People high on extraversion fit well with aggressive and team-oriented cultures,
- People high on agreeableness match up better with a supportive organizational climate than one focused on aggressiveness,
- People high on openness to experience fit better in organizations that emphasize innovation rather than standardization. Learning Objectives 1. Define personality, describe how it is measured, and explain the factors that determine an individual’s personality.
2. Describe the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality framework and assess its strengths and weaknesses.
3. Identify the key traits in the Big Five personality model.
Demonstrate how the Big Five traits predict behavior at work.
4. Identify other personality traits relevant to OB.
5. Define values, demonstrate the importance of values, and contrast terminal and instrumental values.6. Compare generational differences in values and identify the dominant values in today’s workforce.
7. Identify Hofstede’s five value dimensions of national culture. - Extraversion,
- Emotional stability,
- Openness to experience Big Five personality model - Core Self-Evaluation (Self-perspective)
- Machiavellianism (Machs)
- Risk Taking
- Proactive Personality
- Other-orientation traits relevant to OB OK, YOU DIDN'T CLOSE YOUR EYES...
BUT I DONT WANT YOU TO GET BORED...
SO I WANT YOU TO LOOK AT THIS... KEEP QUIET PLEASE !!! Let's see your personality!!! PERSONALITY AND VALUES Let's see your personality!!!