Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
First Day of School - 2016 - English 11
Transcript of First Day of School - 2016 - English 11
2) When you return to class, check my website for Make-Up work.
3) If you have questions, ask a classmate first. If you still have questions, please ask me.
1) Yes, we did work while you were absent!
How to lower the cost of enterprise sales?
Tons of Reading!
How to Get an "A" in My Class
Effort will always count for more.
Daily effort and participation is always worth more than a test score!
So...what's 11th Grade English all about?
#1: I expect you to...
Help the classroom run smoothly,
#5: I expect you to...
#4: I expect you to...
#3: I expect you to...
Try your best.
Communicate with me.
If you are
Late to Class
enter the room.
Hand me your pass.
take your seat and get instructions from your neighbor.
If you do not have a pass, stay after class to discuss why you were late.
Reading, technology, traveling, Broadway musicals, hiking with my dog, and spending time with friends and family
We are going to have
an AMAZING year!
by William Shakesepeare
by Arthur Miller
In Cold Blood
by Truman Capote
#2: I expect you to...
Have a positive attitude.
Be open-minded and check negativity at the door!
All school rules are also in place in our classroom.
to Ms. Walsh's
11th Grade English Class
6. Respect school property.
4. Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself at all times.
1. Listen carefully and follow directions the first time they are given.
3. Raise your hand to gain permission to
speak or to leave your seat.
5. Respect your classmates, teacher, and all school staff.
Turn in homework assignments when asked.
Scan the board for Materials Needed and the day's agenda.
Gather all materials before the Late bell rings.
Begin Do Now as soon you sit down.
Make-up work will only be allowed with Excused Absences...
Cuts will be graded 0%
4) It is your responsibility to turn in make-up work within three days.
"Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world."
What Counts as
Effort & Participation???
Coming to class regularly, on time, and ready to work.
Completing outside reading and homework.
Volunteering opinions in class, asking questions, and answering questions.
Seeking extra help as necessary
Being a positive and productive member of our class--contributing to class discussions and group activities
Communicating with me about what you need!
Let's take a look at our specific classroom rules and consequences.
Everyone in our classroom community deserves to be treated with respect.
Communication is key.
If you're struggling or want something more from this class, PLEASE talk to me about what I can do to help you!
1 Looseleaf Binder
Paper, pens, and pencils should be replenished throughout the year and will be needed for all classes.
Be open and willing to share your opinions and experiences with our class.
Challenge yourself to think outside the box and achieve new levels of greatness.
Let me know what you like, what you dislike, and what you need help with in this class. Tell me about your life outside of class!
Leave your phones in your bags (not your pocket ;-) ) unless directed to use them for class.
All homework assignments are due by the due date.
Everything you turn in should have the correct heading:
Ms. Walsh English 11
It is YOUR responsibility to check for Make-Up Work!
* Niagara University
* St. John's University
* Queens College
English Teacher at SHS for 23 years!
About Ms. Walsh
Yearbook (Totem) Advisor
PSAT and SAT Prep
Synthesis, analysis, and persuasive essays
2. Arrive to class on time and prepared
with all supplies and assignments.
Homework & Daily Assignments
Please have your homework on your desk before class begins.
Write your name!
Digital assignments are due the time indicated.
Points will be deducted for late work.
1 Bathroom Pass per marking period.
Unused bathroom passes will be worth 5 points Extra Credit on your final Exam.
No one may leave for the Bathroom the first 15 or last 10 minutes of class.
Before you are dismissed each day:
The Bell does not dismiss you, I do.
Check the area around your desk for any materials you've left.
Clean up your area, throw your trash in the garbage.
Double-check board for Homework Assignments.
Call student's parents
progress and good
Call student's parents
for lack of progress or
Referral to Chairperson
Detention: Lunch or After School
Note to Parents/Phone Calls Home
Out of School Suspension
Quizzes & Participation
Other Things You Should Know:
If you have an emergency, please go to the nurse. If you're not feeling well, come to class first and I will write you a pass.
You must have an appointment or a pass from me to visit Guidance.
Please keep the hall clear!
Karen M. Walsh-Badalucco
Tons of Writing!
Jimmy Neutron September 6, 2016
Ms. Walsh English 11 period 6 or 9
Topic: In Cold Blood
Aims: Analyze how and why Dick and Perry develop and interact over the course of the text.
Do Now: Compare Nancy and Kenyon Clutter’s upbringing to either Dick Hickock’s or Perry Smith’s family background. If Dick or Perry had been raised at River Valley Farm, do you believe their lives would have been different? Alternatively, do you believe they committed the crimes due to something ingrained in their natures? Explain your answer.
1. Practice Multiple Choice #11-15
2. What event in the opening pages of the section “Answer” turns the investigation around?
3. Why might Dick’s father propose that Dick “wasn’t the same boy” after he injured his head in a car accident?
4. According to Mr. Hickock, what was unusual about Dick when he returned from his alleged trip to Fort Scott? Why is this observation significant?
5. Vocabulary abstemious, changeling, despondency, Enigma, Ethereality, ineffable, Keening, Melancholy, reticent, Roguish, unmarred
HW: Part 3 Study Guide Questions
List at least three expectations you have for me or this class.