Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
DISCIPLINES AND IDEAS IN SOCIAL SCIENCES
Transcript of DISCIPLINES AND IDEAS IN SOCIAL SCIENCES
History of Social Science?
– “Modern science began with the Renaissance in the important sense that it started then to have a continuous development”
What is Social Science?
*Study of how social organization work and to identify the problem that result form the fact that they do not work perfectly (Gordon, 1991)
*It is an attempt to replicate the scientific success of the natural sciences in Social Organizations.
"Social Science is a study of how scientific attitude exercised in the natural sciences is applied in the different social organizations."
1. Source of Scientific Knowledge
*Observation versus Authority
*Galileo: “Secrets of nature are open to investigation by every man.”
*“When men are free to use what reason they possess, without subservience to authority, knowledge will increase progressively.”
2. Demarcation of Social Sciences
*Observation versus Revelation
*“A statement is scientific if it is of such a nature that it can be tested by observation or experiment.”
*Caveat: Being unscientific does not necessarily means “false”
3. Platonic Idealism versus Aristotelian Essentialism
“Knowledge consists of understanding the pure form of things, which is perfect, not the worldly examples which are not.”
-The way to know pure form of things is not through empirical methods but through abstract way such as mathematics.
Phenomena are explicable in terms of the essential nature of things.
-Example: stones fall because it is in their nature to fall.
Humanities vs Social Science
*Humanities – “The study of how people process and document the human experience.” (Stanford University)
*Humanities is a broader category compared with Social Science
WORD OF THE LOURD