Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
Sleep... and Memory
How does sleep deprivation affect our ability to remember things?
What is sleep?
Sleep has 3 functions:
Sleepy = Forgetful
- Sharp ripple waves
- Memory Consolidation
- Information = hippocampus -> neocortex
- Neocortex = Long Term Memory
A study conducted in 2007 by scholars from the Tel Aviv University of Israel proved a mid- day nap can improve verbal memory whereas wakefulness makes us more forgetful.
2. Conserve energy
3. MEMORY CONSOLIDATION
According to WebMd:
Sleep deprivation has many effects on an individual, such as:
1. Accidents, 100000 car accidents per year due to sleep deprivation
2. Decreases one's reaction time, makes you dumb-er
3. Heart disease, heart attack, stroke, diabetes
4. "If you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t be able to remember what you learned and experienced during the day"
These waves are only active during
the DEEPEST LEVELS OF SLEEP!!
Another research conducted by the University of California, again questioned whether sleep increases memory recall.
- two groups : awake and sleep
- 60 word pairs
- Tested 12 hours later
- Sleep group recalled on average 4 more words than the awake group
Russell Foster a neuroscientist spoke about Sleep and its effects at TED
- %36 of our lives are spent asleep
- Sleep deprivation results in "micro sleeps" which we cannot control
Ways to improve sleep
- decrease light exposure
-put AWAY your phones and computers
- don't drink coffee after lunch
- wake up to brightness
Teenagers are not lazy, our biological clocks just make us sleep and wake up later
by: Raajiee Chelliah
All nighters are not effective, researchers have proven multiple times that sleepiness creates confusion and forgetfulness.
Other researches have proven that sleep has many factors such as:
- duration, how long are you asleep?
- quality, if there are any interruptions?
- the time cycle, sleeping at 10pm and sleeping at 2am
- Time Cycle
The process of remembering