Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Six Common Criticism of Deskilling Thesis
Transcript of Copy of Six Common Criticism of Deskilling Thesis
: increased control
labour was not the primary focus
new opportunities → product control, efficiency and flexibility =
reduction in cost of labour.
→ UK companies adopt strategic thinking = financial concerns > human resources
Thank you for Listening
Criticism 6- the deskilling thesis overlooks skill transfer possibilities
Criticism 3- The deskilling thesis treats labour as passive
towards deskilling = trade union 'collective action' + individual action
→ managers solution = adopt sophisticated forms of control x worker resistance.
→ shift from
(assembly line) +
workplace rules + procedures +regulated internal labour market
Criticism 2- The deskilling thesis overstates management's objective of controlling labour
Control over employees = profit objective
Causes: ignorance regarding importance of
- labour issues as the major concern for the formation of strategy in firms
Littler and Salaman (1982:257)
process of capital accumulation > labour process.
and managers as key decisions makers.
Criticism 5- The deskilling thesis ignores gender
1) Woman's role in
2) Braverman - romanticizing past
3) Braverman- ignoring the
4) Braverman- failing to explain
1) Undermine woman's contribution
Thus, Braverman's thesis lack 'diversity and complexity of management objectives.
+ ignoring the 'Plurality of Interests'
Opposing argument with a study : research into technological change in UK provincial newspaper industry conducted by Noon 1994
Criticism 4- The deskilling thesis underestimates the degree of consent and accommodation by employees
Criticism 1- The Deskilling thesis ignores alternative management strategies