Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PBIS AND CHAMPS
Transcript of PBIS AND CHAMPS
PBIS and CHAMPS
Districts and schools across the country use PBIS as the schoolwide component of PBS (Positive Behavior Support), however, at this time, PBIS does not offer a cohesive classroom component. Some PBIS schools choose to use CHAMPS for the classroom piece. Since both PBIS and CHAMPS derive from the same research base and share a common philosophy, they fit well together.
What is CHAMPS?
CHAMPS is not a "canned" program nor is it a rigid set of procedures. Instead, a teacher using the CHAMPS strategies will reflect both her/his individual needs and style of the teaching and the students' need for structure while manipulating the following five behavioral variables that research shows will promote better student behavior:
1. Structure (organize) your classroom to prevent misbehavior.
2. Teach your expectations regarding how to be successful within the structure that you have created.
3. Observe whether students are meeting your expectations.
4. Interact positively with all students.
5. Correct misbehavior fluently, briefly, calmly, consistently, immediately, and (as much as possible) privately.
What does CHAMPS stand for?
: Can students talk to each other during this activity?
: How do students get the teacher's attention and their questions answered?
: What is the task/objective? What is the end product?
: Can students move about during this activity?
: How do students show they are fully participating? What does work behavior look/sound like?
: When students meet CHAMPS expectations, they will be successful!
CHAMPS strategies are easy to implement and will:
Reduce classroom disruptions and office referrals
Improve classroom climate
Increase student on-task behavior
Establish respectful and civil interactions
KEY BENEFITS OF CHAMPS
Teachers establish clear expectations with logical and fair responses to misbehavior.
Teachers spend less time disciplining and more time teaching.
Teachers learn tools to motivate students to do their best.
Students are taught how to behave responsibly.
PBIS AND CHAMPS
ON THE ROAD TO SUCCESS
Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports is a proactive approach to establishing the behavioral supports and social culture and needed for all students in a school to achieve social, emotional and academic success. Attention is focused on creating and sustaining primary (school-wide),secondary (classroom), and tertiary (Individual) systems of support that improve social, family, work, recreation) for all youth by making targeted misbehavior less effective, efficient, and relevant, and desired behavior more functional.
VIDEO AND ACTIVITY