Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of American Football
- Cultural event or mass brawl?
2. Cultural Meaning
- originated from rugby
- first played at Princeton and Harvard
- very similar to the traditional rugby
- increasing popularity
- establishment of the IFA
=> evolution of Football
11 players per team
size of field -> 110 yards
system of 4 tries for 10 yards
legalization forward pass
- took a long time to develop
- teams came and went
- players considered Football as a part-time job
- with the entry of famous College players, the
NFL finally gained significance and fans
=> more teams participated in Football
- Super Bowl parties all over the country
- most watched TV event in America
- Football field is covered with a huge American flag
- veterans are honored before the game
Passion for the sport
- excitement of the game
- supporting their team
What are the risks?
- injury rate of 15,7 injuries per 1000 hours
(not much higher than in soccer)
- sprains, fractures and dislocations are most
- biggest problem are injuries that have long
term affects on the player
Long term affects
- concussions, cervical spine injuries
- memory loss
- personality changes
- many consecutive concussions can
lead to chronic trauma encephalopathy
- CTE leads to depressions, aggressions and dementia
- Football gear is constantly being
=> better absorption of the force that
that the players are exposed to
- roughing the passer
- helmet to helmet
Players are aware of the risks
A lot is done
to prevent injuries
Cultural event instead of mass brawl!
I) Book sources
Gruver, Ed: The American Football League : A Year-By-Year History, 1960-1969. North Carolina: McFarland, 1997.
Hoerner, Earl F.: Safety in American Football. West Conshohocken: ASTM International, 1997.
Kamberg, Mary-Lane: Sports Concussions. New York: The Rosen Publishing Group, 2011.
II) Internet sources
Essortment: History American Football, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.essortment.com/american-football-history-43333.html
NFL History Guide: NFL Team History, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.nflhistoryguide.com/
Hollywood Reporter: Super Bowl dethrones 'M*A*S*H,' sets all-time record!, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/super-bowl-dethrones-mash-sets-53083
Enlighten Your Day: Amazing & Inspiring Football Speech: I am a champion!, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://enlightenyourday.com/2008/08/25/amazing-inspiring-football-speech-i-am-a-champion/
Manner Of Speaking: Speeches from Film: Any Given Sunday, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://mannerofspeaking.org/2010/05/04/speeches-from-film-any-given-sunday/
Springer Link: American-Football-Verletzungen in der deutschen Bundesliga: Verletzungsrisiko und Verletzungsmuster, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02044355
NCBI: Common American football injuries., Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1947533
WebMD: Concussion (Traumatic Brain Injury), Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.webmd.com/brain/concussion-traumatic-brain-injury-symptoms-causes-treatments
BU: What is CTE?, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.bu.edu/cste/about/what-is-cte/
Men's Journal: Dave Duerson: The Ferocious Life and Tragic Death of a Super Bowl Star, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/dave-duerson-the-ferocious-life-and-tragic-death-of-a-super-bowl-star-20121002?page=1
The Guradian: The NFL star and the brain injuries that destroyed him, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/19/nfl-star-brain-injuries-destroyed
Medical News Today: Professional Football Players Have Higher ALS And Alzheimer's Death Risks, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/249912.php
UNC: Annual Survey of Football Injury Research 1931 - 2007, Letzter Zugriff 05.03.2013 http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/FootballInjuryData.htm
Would you be willing to play in the
NFL if you had the opportunity?
to hurt opponent