Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Vera Rubin
Where it started
Vera as born in Philadelphia ,Pa United states
She did most of her work in college at Georgetown University while working towards a Doctorate.
In 1978 Rubin found out everything astronomers had studied until the discovery of dark matter was only one tenth of the universe. Also found the missing mass that Zwicky predicted was dark matter. Rubin had analyzed over 200 galaxies. And estimated that 90% or more of the universe is made of dark matter.
Issue & Solution
Being rejected by princeton's graduate school for being a woman.
She eventually received a master’s from Cornell in 1950 and a Ph.D. from Georgetown in 1954.
She went on to prove existence of dark matter because galaxies spin faster than Newton’s Universal Law of Gravitation dictates they should.
Born 1928 July 23 and is still living at the age of 87.
Known for uncovering the discrepancy between the predicted angular motion of galaxies and the observed motion.
This became to be the galaxy rotation problem