Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Untitled Prezi
connects the pharyx to the stomach
*3 layers of smooth muscle
There are 2 kinds of digestion:
Mechanical- chewing and breaking it into smaller pieces.
Chemical-Breakdown of larger foods into smaller ones through enzymes.
Food passes down to the esophagus
Valve that protects the trachea from food.
Food enters the mouth and is chewed up.
Salivary Amylase starts breakdown of starch into glucose molecules
lined with smooth muscle
Bolus is formed
Bolus is transported to the stomach through
Bolus passes through the
into the stomach
*pH 2 -very very acidic
It passes to the small intestine through the pyloric sphincter
Food is moved by Peristalsis
2.5 cm in diameter
Digestion depends on 3 accessory organs:
pancreas, liver and gallbladder
--break down fats
Gallbladder-stores excess bile
Food is absorbed through villi
Chyme moves to the large intestine
Water is absorbed and it becomes feces
The final sphincter
*protective mucous layer
Gastrin--neuropeptide that sends signals to the brain
Bacteria break down materials not absorbed. Sometimes produce methane.