Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Burj Khalifa
design inspiration - hymenocallis (flower)
Y-shaped floor plan with three wings that connect in the center also help reduce wind loads
spiraling pattern gets thinner as it goes upward, so the tower's mass is reduced as it becomes taller
Official launch ceremony (first opened) - January 4th 2010
Construction started - September 21st 2004
built in the midst of a large-scale development so it has mixed-use
over 45,000 m3 of concrete (weighs 110,000 tonnes) used just for the concrete and steel foundation
50m depth below ground to support weight of the heavy structure on solid soil (to prevent settlement load)
primary material - reinforced concrete
330,000 m3 of concrete and 55,000 tons of steel rebar
cladding system designed to resist Dubai's extreme summer temperatures w/ 142,000 m2 of reflective aluminum stainless steel panels
took 22 million man hours
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Skyscraper (163 stories)
1. "At the Top", Burj Khalifa - observation deck (floor 124)
2. At.mosphere - Dining restaurant and bar (floor 122)
3. The Residence - 900 residence homes w/ studios, one to four bedroom suites,
many features & services, gives guests outstanding lifestyle (floors 19-108)
4. The Corporate suites - 37 office floors
5. Armani Hotel - 160 guestrooms/ suites
6. Armani Residences - 144 private residences
132,000 m2 "curtain-wall" made of aluminum, silicone, glass
fact: also broke the record for highest reinforced concrete pumping record (601 m)
the amount of rebar used for the tower laid end to end would stretch over a quarter of the way around the world
unique design used patterns from traditional Islamic architecture
spiral stepping pattern changes width of the tower at each level, which "confuses" the wind, reducing the wind forces
to support the height of the structure, engineers developed "structural system called buttressed core" a hexagonal shape strengthened by three buttresses that form the "Y" shape
designed by Skidmore, Owings, and Merril (S.O.M), who also designed the Sears Tower in Chicago, Illinois and the New World Trade Center
was constructed by Samsung Engineering and Construction of South Korea, who also constructed the Petronas Twin Towers.
built to add tourism and services to the economy
wanted to make Dubai recognized for something amazing
designed by Adrian Smith