Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Middle East Prezi
Transcript of Middle East Prezi
Middle East Many of these countries
were once a part of the
Ottoman Empire. Characteristics of Jews Problem Countries of the Middle East PLO- Terrorist are people that attack other countries when they themselves do not have a country. OIL Two major Ethnic Groups in Israel Added Regions to Israel Israels Wars Negev Desert Irrigation
led to successful growing Religion of Islam All Muslims believe in God
Are followers of Mohammed
Read the Koran " The Reading"
Believe 5 Pillars of Faith
a. Profession of faith
b. Pray 5 times a day
c. Pay a tax to help the needy
d. Fast during the month of Ramadan
e. Make a pilgrimage to Mecca if we are able, but
Jerusalem is a holy city along with Jews and
Then Came the Split
Mohammed Dies 1. 1979 Iranian Revolution - Radical conservative 2.1980's Iraq and Iran would fight one another
3. 1990 Iraq attacks Kuwait for it oil fields, also clear path to the Persian Gulf ( Persian Gulf War).
a. US would put economic sanction on Iraq to ensure that they were not producing chemical weapons.
b.2001 US attacks Iraq, for violating treaty to not produce chemical weapons. ( Desert Storm) Well Educated 1. Gaza Strip - Egypt 1967
2. West Bank - Jordan 1967
3. Golan Heights - Syria 1973 1. 1948- Attacked by Egypt, Jordan Syria, Lebanon
Result Israel wins.
2. 1967- (Six Day War) Same groups attack Israel
Results Israel in 6 days Is. gets W. Bank and Gaza Strip
3. 1973- (Yom Kippur War)
Result- Israel Wins Get Golan Heights
1976- Camp David Accord Jimmy Carter, PM Begin
Sadat of Egypt meet to discuss plans to maintain
peace in the region. 1. Ashkenazi
a. Northern and Eastern Europe
b. Wealthier group
c. Well educated/ Westernized
d. Run Gov't and Industry Lebanon - once was considered the Paris of the M.E.
- Where people went to vacation
-1980- Am. Troops are attacked by truck bomber 200 soldiers killed
-Am pulls out
- Different factions, groups started fighting. 1. Main abundant Natural
2. OPEC - Patient Important to Israel because they are
Buffer Zones from being attacked.
Expanded Territory for more room to Grow. Driest region is Negev Desert. 2. Sephardic
a. Immigrants from Northern Africa S.W Asia
b. Less educated
c. Work Class/ Lower Class Middle East is always hiring skilled workers. Issues
1. Israel has give back the Gaza Strip
2. Egypt has agree not attack
Result = Good results
a Sadat is assassinated for signing the truce.
Next leader maintains treaty. When the wars over most Arabs living in
those regions that Israel captured
flee to surrounding Arab nations. P = Palestinian
O= Organization Yasser
Arafat Syria - relies on Rainfall to water its crops- not very efficient. Oman- use Falaj System - which is an system of underground and surface canals. Terrorist Hijackers
of Airlines in
1970's Yemen- country formed from two countries to improve economy. O= organization
C = Countries Fighting in the
Region is the result of Internal and Geographical Differences Sunni Elect new leader who was an adviser to Mohammed
Abu Bakar the first Caliph Shia Believe it should have been a relative
Ali They are poorer
United Arab Emirates
85% Muslims are Sunni Wars of the Middle East Other Facts about the Region 1. Of the countries in the region it i most likely to see women in turkey dressing in western style clothing.
2. The people of Cyprus has strong historical ties to Turkey and Greece.
3. The Caspian Depression is area near the Caspian Sea that is lower than sea level.
4. Iran and Turkey share Geographical characteristics that they both have central plateaus surrounded by mountains 1948 get Independence