Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Three Rats (Ang Tatlong Ulupong)
Transcript of The Three Rats (Ang Tatlong Ulupong)
Wilfrido Maria Guerrero
January 1917 In Ermita, Manila
First play in Spanish, “No Todo Es Risa”.
This play was produced at the Ateneo de Manila University when he was 15.
> Theater artist
>Reporter and a proofreader for La Vanguardia
> Script writer in some Philippine Films
Three Rats is a play in one act, written and directed by Wilfrido Ma. Guerrero. It was first staged by the University of the Philippines (UP) Dramatic Club on 10 Dec 1948 at the Assumption College Auditorium in Manila. It was also presented over the radio. On 1 Oct 1948, it was published in The Evening News Magazine and later, in Wilfrido Ma. Guerrero, 13 Plays , Manila, 1947. Lilia F. Antonio translated it as "Tatlong Ulupong" for the UP Repertory Company.
27 years old (husband of Nita)
19 years old (wife of Gonzalo)
25 years old
Place: Forbes Park, a suburb of the rich near Manila
Time: about nine o’clock in the evening on August
When Gonzalo planning for revenge to his best friend Adrian.
Gonzalo confirms his suspicion that his wife is having an affair with his best friend Adrian.
Gonzalo contacted the policeman to come over to their house to see the three rats.
This play in English is about a couple, and the husband's bestfriend. The story recounts betrayal and unfaithfulness among these three people. It revolves on the husband's figuring out his wife and his bestfriend's love affair. The husband deceived his bestfriend too when he poisoned him and declared that their friendship is unto the grave.
> Friendship is dependant on sacrifice.
> Human beings all have the same needs.
> Honesty is the best policy
> Man struggles against nature
Style of the author:
Conflict in Three Rats
Man vs Man
• Nita vs the dismissed maid, Cora
• Gonzalo vs Adrian
• Gonzalo vs Nita
Man vs Nature
• Adrian vs the effects of cyanide
Man vs Himself
• Gonzalo and his failing memory
• Gonzalo and his health / hyperthyroidism
• Gonzalo, picking up then putting down the
cup of coffee
• Adrian and his addiction to gambling
• Nita and her confusion: Should she warn
Adrian or obey Gonzalo and keep quiet?
His publications include:
> 13 Plays (first published in 1947)
> 8 Other Plays (1952)
> 7 More Plays (1962)
> 12 New Plays (1975)
> My Favorite 11 Plays (1976)
> 4 Latest Plays (1980)
> Retribution and eight other selected
plays (1990) and The Guerreros of