Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
"Some people might say..."
Transcript of "Some people might say..."
Do Now - May 4, 2015
[Use your blue paper to help you].
1. What are the two biggest problems facing the United States?
2. If these problems continue, how might they lead to the decline of America?
3. What are some solutions for these problems?
One of the biggest problems plaguing the United States is the lack of healthy food options for Americans at all levels of society. Some might argue that anyone can eat healthy foods if they try. However, according to the text, “A Mintel survey in 2010 revealed that 23 meals a month per household are from shelf-stable meal packets or frozen dinners…” (Document F). This means that a huge number of Americans might be headed for even more serious health problems based on their food intake.
Counterclaims: Group Practice (back of paper)
[It must be different from the ones on the front!]
4. Add a counterclaim!
CLAIM: The United States is going through a serious water problem.
5. Add a counterclaim!
CLAIM: One of the bigges problems facing the United States is income inequality.
Dear Mr. President,
The United States is going through a serious water problem. You may have heard your other advisers tell you that our drought is not worth worrying about. However, research shows that, “California, supplier of nearly half of all fruits, veggies and nuts, is on track to experience the driest year in the past half millenium” (Document G). This means that soon, the United States' whole agricultural system may collapse.
3. Add a counterclaim!
CLAIM (Topic Sentence): One of the biggest problems plaguing the United States is the lack of healthy food options for Americans at all levels of society.
1. Why is it important to understand other people's opinions?
2. How can knowing what other people think help make your arguments stronger?
Counterclaim (also known as counterargument)
(noun) a contrasting or opposing opinion.
Determine the 2 biggest problems facing
Transfer them to Page 16 of your Capstone packet.
Create detailed solutions.
1. This was the dominant European religion during the Middle Ages.
2. This was the lord whom a samurai worked for.
[Use SLAS sentence stems]
Acknowledging counter-claims make your
arguments more convincing!
Dear Mr. President,
As an expert, it is time to decide what problems you will help the President fix.
Be prepared for a debate!
What are the biggest problems facing the US?
Quality responses will:
-Use evidence to support responses
-Use SLAS sentence stems.