Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Muscular System
Transcript of The Muscular System
Muscles that attach to bones and the connective tissue that attaches them make up the
Types of Muscle
- is found in the digestive tract and blood vessels.
- special type of muscle only found in the heart.
- attached to your bones for movement and help protect your internal organs.
Making You Move
Skeletal muscles produce hundreds of different voluntary movements. When you want to move an electrical signal is sent to a muscle which makes it contract (shorten).
- the tough connective tissue that connects your skeletal muscles to your bones.
Muscles work in pairs:
Use it or Lose it!
Muscle tissue responds to its amount of use. If you don't use muscles for a long time they will begin to shrink and even breakdown, like if you have a leg cast for a long time. If you work your muscles hard over a period of time they will respond by getting larger and stronger to match the amount of use.
- requires muscles to overcome a resistance to their movement. This makes them stronger and larger.
- when muscles are used moderately for along period of time. This increases the strength of your heart and the endurance of your skeletal muscles.
Muscle Strain(pull) - this is when a muscle is over used and it is not prepared or condition for the amount of use. In bad cases the muscle actually tears.
Tendonitis - the connective tissue can also be over stretched to the point it becomes injured. A damaged tendon can become inflamed or hot as it tries to heal. This is called tendonitis.
Anabolic Steroids - hormones taken to enlarge the muscles for better athletic performance. These hormones threaten the heart, liver, and kidneys and can cause high blood pressure.