Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Byzantine Empire
Laws & Religion
What Was Byzantium
The Eastern Roman Empire
Never stopped calling themselves Roman
Emperor Justinian I
Byzantium's greatest rule
Acted as head of church & state
Expanded the Byzantine Empire
Built bridges, churches, hospitals, and libraries
A collection of all the Roman laws by Justinian
The code of Justinian influenced many western legal codes
Epic church built by Justinian
All great cathedrals and mosques borrow from its design
The Great Schism
Western Europeans used icons because people couldn't read.
Christians in the Byzantine Empire didn't like that
The two churches split.
Catholic is Latin for "universal"
Mass is in Latin
Pope is the head of the church
Clergy were celibate
Orthodox is Greek for "correct belief"
Mass in Greek or translated
Lead by a Patriarch
Priests could marry