Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Welcome to ENG 147
Transcript of Welcome to ENG 147
Welcome to ENG 147
Private message reply
Class message reply
Record important phone numbers
Getting Started in the New Classroom
• Differentiate between personal and academic writing.
• Demonstrate the proper use of punctuation and grammar.
• Week 1 Participation
• Differences Between Personal and Academic Writing
• Academic Writing Reflection
• MyFoundationsLab Activities
Assignments and Objectives
Tips for creating a substantive post
• Share your thoughts and experiences (personal, academic and professional) related to weekly materials
• Discuss ways you can apply the lessons from the class in your work and educational life
• Make connections between the topics at hand and the readings in the text
• Provide examples to support your ideas
• Go beyond I agree to build the discussion, reviewing topics with new perspectives
• Show reflection, including questions to promote additional discussion
Week One Participation
Differences Between Personal and Academic Writing
Helpful resources for completing the assignment
Examples of Personal and Academic Writing
Write a short paragraph of 250 to 300 words that answers the following questions in your own words:
How does personal writing differ from academic writing?
How are academic and personal writing similar?
What skills do strong academic writers possess?
Submit your short paragraph in a Microsoft® Word® document.
Academic Writing Reflection
Writing Essentials: Why are Writing Skills Important?
In at least 75 words, reflect on your current writing abilities and identify resources to strengthen your skills. In the reflection, respond to the following questions:
• On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being the highest), what is your level of comfort with academic writing?
• As a result of completing your first University of Phoenix course successfully, has your confidence in your academic writing abilities improved, remained the same, or decreased?
• How can your instructor be most useful in helping you strengthen your academic writing skills?
Parts of Speech Review under the recommended activities
Required tests to complete
W1.1 Parts of Speech, Phrases, and Clauses
W1.2 Subject and Verbs
W1.8 Regular and Irregular Verbs
Academic Essay Instructions
Choosing a Topic Tips
Persuasive writing overview
Week one: choose a topic
Week two: complete prewriting
Week three: write a thesis and outline
Week four: write body paragraphs
Week five: research and create APA citations
Week six: draft the essay
Week seven: complete the final essay
Reading for Writers
The only way to learn to write good nonfiction is to read good nonfiction.
There is No God
by Penn Jillette. It was featured on National Public Radio’s This I Believe series.
Your job is to read the essay and decide if it is a personal or academic essay.