Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of AUGUSTO PINOCHET
Augusto José Ramón Pinochet
Born on November 25, 1915
in Valparaiso, Chile.
• eldest of six children
• entered military school at 18 years old
- four years later he graduated as a Sub-Lieutenant
• was a commander of a detention camp for Chilean Communists during his military career
• lectured at War Academy
• son of Augusto Pinochet Vera
and Avelina Ugarte Martinez
• married Lucia Hiriart
• had 5 children
In 1948 Pinochet met Salvador Allende, a Chilean Senator.
In 1970 Allende was elected president and promoted Pinochet to commander of Santiago garrison in 1973.
September 11, 1973
• Pinochet ordered an air-strike on the presidential palace.
• Allende was killed defening the palace
Augusto Pinochet becomes president of Chile.
Becomes part of a four-man junta.
• poverty decreased during his rule
• growth in economy
• "saved" Chile from Communism
• the Condor Case
• responsible for death of approximately 2000 people, and disappearance of about 1000 people.
Pinochet introduces new constitution.
• allows him to stay president (until 1989)
• strengthens military's domination of the government
• allowed Pinochet to restrict freedom of association and speech and to exile or arrest
In 1998, Pinochet visited United Kingdom for medical reasons.
His opponents charge him with several accounts of murder, torture and unlawful kidnapping in Spanish Court.
Arrested in London.
Charges dismissed in 2002 because he was unfit for court.
In 2004, was put on house arrest.
Died on December 10, 2006 at 91 years old.
He died of heart failure in Santiago Military Hospital.
• wrote different books about
politics and warfare
- Geopolitica (written in 1981)
• lectured at the War Academy
• was a commander in a detention camp for Chilean communists
• Condor Case
• responsible for death of about 2000 people and the disappearance of about 1000.
Biography Shelf. <www.biographyshelf.com/augusto_
2. Christopher Minster.
1. Augusto Pinochet Biograpy.
Biography of Augusto Pinochet.
3. Augusto Pinochet.
4. Robert A. Packenham.
What Pinochet did for Chile.
• economic success
• human right abuse
• Coup (sudden violent seizure of power from a government)