Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Winter International Student Orientation 2012


Deborah Kaltman

on 26 August 2012

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Winter International Student Orientation 2012

International Student Orientation
Winter 2012 Employment Immigration Travel Welcome to NU! presented by
The International Office
@ Northwestern University CAESAR Student Information Portal NU Resources Student groups Welcome! The IO provides immigration-related services for all international students in F-1 and J-1 status, and J-1 non-students and H-1B employees sponsored by Northwestern University

We provide information and advising regarding immigration regulations BUT: It is your responsibility to maintain your valid F-1 or J-1 visa status while in the United States. IO Info Or: how do I maintain my status? The IO welcomes you to Northwestern! Check-in at the IO (you can do this today if you haven't already!) Maintain valid documents Passport
I-20 or DS-2019
Visa stamp
I-94 (white departure card)

You will have multiple I-20s or DS-2019s... keep all original documents!!!
Make copies of the above documents and keep them in a safe place. The IO does not keep copies of your documents Make continual progress Do: Don't: Remain a full-time student
Enroll in 3 or more classes Drop below full-time status
Take a leave of absence without speaking to your IO advisor first! Think ahead! Report changes I-20/DS-2019 extensions may be available
You must request this in advance!
We can't extend your I-20 or DS-2019 after it has expired.
Check your end date carefully and think ahead! Please tell your IO advisor if you:
Need to change academic level or academic program
Transfer to another U.S. institution.
Plan to graduate early
Move (in the U.S. or abroad)--update your info in CAESAR Definition: any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, or any other benefit. This includes unpaid internships. On-campus employment Employment for dependents F-2 dependents J-2 dependents F-1 J-1 F-1 J-1 Off-campus employment Can work on-campus without any formal IO approval
Can work 20 hours per week or less during the quarter and 20 + hours during breaks and summer
Not sure if a job is "on-campus"? Ask the IO! Can work on-campus without any formal IO approval
Can work 20 hours per week or less during the quarter and 20 + hours during breaks and summer
Not sure if a job is "on-campus"? Ask the IO! Curricular Practical Training (CPT):
-Available during your program
-Tied to program/course credit (i.e. an
internship, co-op or field studies program)
-Not available for all programs

Optional Practical Training (OPT):
-Available after completion of studies AND
after three quarters of full-time enrollment.

Both CPT and OPT must be authorized by the IO, so please speak to us first! Academic Training (AT):
-Available before and/or after completion of
AT must be authorized by the IO, so please speak to us first! F-2 dependents may not be employed under any circumstances
In the event of a job offer at a professional level, an F-2 dependent should work with the prospective employer to change to an immigration status that permits employment. J-2 dependents may apply for work authorization
Authorization can take up to three months.
May work in the U.S. in J-2 status for the length of time the J-1 is eligible to remain in the U.S.
In the event of a job offer at a professional level extending past the authorization period, a J-2 dependent should work with the prospective employer to change to an immigration status that permits further employment. Before you leave the U.S., make sure you have all your necessary re-entry documents:
Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future)
Unexpired F-1/J-1 visa stamp with unused entries
Valid I-20/DS-2019 with a current travel signature

Travel signatures are valid for 12 months Plan ahead! Advisor signs here SAMPLE SAMPLE Advisor signs here Spouse & Family Services Office locations and walk-in hours
Evanston: 630 Dartmouth Place
Monday-Thursday, 10am-1pm; 2-4pm.

Chicago: 710 North Lake Shore Drive,
Abbott Hall, Room 1012
Wednesdays, 9am – 12pm; 1 – 4:00pm

Check the IO website for schedule changes http://www.northwestern.edu/international
Like us on Facebook! International Student Advisors
Based on the first letter of your last name:
A - G: Colleen Seaton c-seaton@northwestern.edu
H - K: Nick Seamons n-seamons@northwestern.edu
L - R: Debbie Kaltman d-kaltman@northwestern.edu
S - Z: Coryn Shiflet c-shiflet@northwestern.edu
Kellogg IY and 2Y MBA and MMM students:
Adam Blough a-blough@kellogg.northwestern.edu Sign up for our listserv:
Email listserv@listserv.it.northwestern.edu
Leave the subject blank
In the body of the message, write:
subscribe INTNEWS firstname lastname www.northwestern.edu/international/about/spouse-and-family.html
Visit this website for information on:
Opportunities at NU for spouses/families to meet
Events in and around Chicago and Evanston
Quarterly programming for spouses/families Sign up for our spouse and family listserv!
email tlistserv@listserv.it.northwestern.edu
Leave the subject blank.
In the body of the message, write:
subscribe INTFAMILY firstname lastname http://www.northwestern.edu/caesar/ In CAESAR, you can...
Register for classes
View your student account
Pay tuition bills
Even more! In CAESAR, you must:
Update your address within 10 days of any changes!
Click on the "country" hyperlink to change the country

Permanent address: your foreign address
Current address: your US address This is so we can notify SEVIS and the US government! ISA: International Student Association (undergrads)
GSA: Graduate Student Association
CSSA: Chinese Students and Scholars Association
G-SALSA: Graduate Student Association for Latino and Spanish Activities
IGSSA: Indian Graduate Students and Scholars Association

Even more groups!
northwestern.collegiatelink.net/organizations (undergraduates)
tgs.northwestern.edu/graduate-life/student-associations/index.html (graduate students) Get involved! hereandnow.northwestern.edu Undergraduate student portal northwestern.edu/campus-life Maps, transportation, campus events and more tgs.northwestern.edu/current-students Graduate student portal northwestern.edu/uservices/transportation/shuttles/intercampus/intercampus.html norris.northwestern.edu Norris University Center/Center for Student Involvement: campus events, services and more dailynorthwestern.com & northbynorthwestern.com Student newspapers Shuttle between Evanston/Chicago campuses Download the Northwestern app! Available for iPhone, Blackberry, & Droid phones Get your Wildcard-- NU ID card! Visit the Wildcard office in Norris (underground level) to get yours today! Travel (Out of the US) (In the US) During your program After your program -You CAN travel in the US--
We highly recommend you do!

-Bring your passport (with US visa),
I-94 card and I-20/DS-2019

-Visit kayak.com or orbitz.com to find US flights -All students receive a "grace period" after their I-20 or DS-2019 ends
F-1 students: 60 days
J-1 students: 30 days

-You can use this time to travel in the US,
but once you leave, you can't re-enter in J-1/F-1 status (even if you go to Canada or Mexico!!!)

-If you go to another country during your grace period and want to re-enter the US, you will need to get a tourist visa or visa waiver
Full transcript