Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
EDUC 6654: Literacy Development for Second Language Learners
Transcript of EDUC 6654: Literacy Development for Second Language Learners
Instructor: Bryan Meadows, Ph.D.
Bancroft Hall 219
T, W 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Th 3:00pm - 4:00pm
and by appointment
What will we do in this class?
1) regular engagement
2) Complete a BRI assessment of L2 learner
3) Face-to-face interview with L2 learner to understand their needs better.
4) Design a literacy lesson plan
5) Design a professional development presentation for teachers on the topic of L2 literacy development.
How will this course help us become better teachers?
InTASC standards (adopted by NJ)
1) Learner development
2) Learning differences
3) Learning environments
4) Content knowledge
5) Application of content
7) Planning for instruction
8) Instructional strategies
9) Professional learning and ethical practice
10)Leadership and collaboration
How will my grade be calculated?
25% BRI Assessment Project
15% Student Interview and Reflection
25% Literacy Lesson Plan
15% Professional Development Presentation
What will we learn in this course?
Two essential questions
1) What does full literacy in a second language look like?
2) How do you teach language learners to achieve literacy in a second language?
What are we going to do each week?