Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Sapphires: Culture, Ideology and Identity
Transcript of The Sapphires: Culture, Ideology and Identity
Culture, Ideology and Identity
Citing Maxwell, Ashcroft (2004) identifies two cultural groups: the
“In the case of the settler colonies, land was occupied by European colonists who dispossessed and overwhelmed the Indigenous populations.” (24)
The film emphasises the cultural differences between
white country and western music
black soul music
* Aboriginal cultures are
by the white settlers.
* Australians called "
" by British settlers are not humans but "
flora or fauna
* Aboriginal Protection Act started in 1869 Stolen Generations.
* National Sorry Day since 1998.
* February 2008: Prime Minister's
apology to Aborigines
for the racial discrimination and injustices.
* Martin Luther King’s assassination.
* War against USA
A time of poverty, discrimination, riots and revolution.
“(…) the system of
that explains, or makes sense of, a
, and according to Marx is the mechanism by which
unequal social relations
are reproduced. The
not only rule, they rule as thinkers and
producers of ideas
so that they
how the society sees itself.” (Ashcroft, 2004: 203)
* Before the 1967 Referendum Aboriginals were "flora and fauna"
* Racism and discrimination at any cost.
“A valid and active sense of self may have been eroded by
, the conscious and unconscious oppression of the indigenous personality and culture by a supposedly superior racial or cultural model”. (Ashcroft, 2004: 9)
of vision and
Kay as part of the
denial of Aboriginal origins
post-removal and after assimilating of a
Kay's trasformation NEW IDENTITY
CULTURE IDEOLOGY IDENTITY
White Racism Kay's Crisis
Aboriginal Native Culure
place & music dominant