Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Roots of Jazz
Transcript of Roots of Jazz
Slaves were brought over in the 1700's
"Call and response"
Field hollers, work songs & spirituals
Spirituals & The Blues
Mix of religious tradition & protestantism
Story telling through a "groit"
Fiddle, banjo, clapping & foot stomping
Latin, Calypso & Jamaican music
"Don't Worry, Be Happy"
Slaves freed in 1864
War of Independence (1775-1783)
Post Civil War (1865+)
Concerts in town squares
Four part harmony
"Baby on Board"
Piano style, "oom-pah!"
Played in bars
Syncopated rhythms, a "ragged rhythm"
Scott Joplin "The Entertainer"
"What the (bleep) is Ragtime?"
"The Roots of Jazz"