Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Adding and Subtracting Fractions
Transcript of Adding and Subtracting Fractions
By Joe, Abigail, Lauren
Adding Positive Fractions
1. Find the smallest multiple (LCM) of both numbers.
2. Rewrite the fractions as equivalent fractions with the L.C.M as the denominator.
3/4+1/6= 9/12+2/12= 11/12
Subtracting Negative Fractions
Subtracting Positive Fractions
Find the least common denominator of the two fractions.
Multiply the numerator by the number you used to find the least common denominator. ex: 3/4 - 2/8
Both denominators should become 8
Since 4 * 2 = 8 You will multiply 3 * 2 which equals 6
Do the same with the second fraction
Now just subtract the two numerators, and borrow if needed.
Simplify if needed
Ex: 4 1/6 - 3 2/3
1. Change it to 3 1/6 - 3 4/6
2. In this example you need to borrow, to borrow you take one whole number from the number in front of the fraction. 3 1/6 becomes 3 7/6.
3. Now just subtract: 3 7/6 - 3 1/6 = 6/6
4. Simplify if needed: 6/6 = 1
If The problem you have does not require borrowing then just skip that step.
Adding Negative Fractions
Adding negative fractions is the same as adding positive fractions.
01. Change the second fraction into a positive number
02. Rewrite the mixed number as an improper fraction
03. Write the sum of the numerators over the common denominator and add
04. Write the improper fraction as a mixed number
-4 ¹/₇ - (-⁶/₇) = ?
-4 ¹/₇ - ⁶/₇
-²⁹/₇ - ⁶/₇
-²⁹+⁶ / 7
-²³/₇ = -3 ²/₇
Ex: -5/10+ -5/10= -1