Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Gitlow v. New York
Transcript of Gitlow v. New York
Whether or not his arrest was violating the 1st amendment.
-Which route did it take to get to the Supreme Court.
The case went through New York's Appellate Court and the Supreme Court of New York.
-Which Circuit did it originate in?
The Criminal Courts of New York City.
-Which Constitutional Issue was being argued?
The Freedom of Speech.
-Summarize The Court’s Decision and any dissenting opinions.
His words were protected by the 1st amendment. His words were a present danger, therefore, he wasn't protected by the Constitution of the United States.
-Who were the Justices at the time?
Pierce Butler, James Clark McReynolds, Edward Terry Sanford, Harlan Fiske Stone, George Sutherland, William Howard Taft, Willis Van Devanter, Louis D. Brandeis, Oliver Wendell Holmes
-Why was this case important in US History?
It established and protected peoples right of the Freedom of Speech.
-Three effects encountered by the United States from this particular case.
1. It established peoples Freedom of Speech.
2.It saved numerous people from having to go through this process.
3. It helped the Government determine what words were threats and what words weren't. Bibliography http://library.thinkquest.org/2760/gitlow.htm