Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Roald Amundsen
Life and Death
July 16, 1872- June 18, 1928
Amundsen was born in Borge, Norway.
He died in Barents Sea while flying for a rescue mission.
Born into a family of Norwegian ship-owners and captains. Amundsen lived in a town called Borge. Amundsen was the fourth son out of the family. Amundsen’s mom decided to keep him out of the maritime industry. So, he can pressure to be a doctor, he held his promise until the death of his mother when he was 21 years old. Then quit his university for life at sea. Fridtjof Nansen's crossing of Greenland in 1888 and the doomed Franklin expedition was the result of him wanting to a of exploration.
Coast of Antarctica (1894-1899)
Northwest Passage between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans (1903–1906)
The South Pole Expedition (1910–12)
Northeast Passage now called the Northern Route (1918–1920)
Highlight of his Career
Amundsen was the first person to reach the South Pole on December 14, 1911.
In 1874, He became captain of the "Beligca" when the captain fell ill. He made put the crew to work on making warm clothing and hunting for seals and penguins.
He archived three adventures around the world and did it in 56 years.
Lowlights of his Career
Amundsen wanted to be the first man to go to the North Pole, but Robert Peary got their first in 1909.
He tried to fly over the north pole but when they barely reach the ice one of the aircraft's petrol tanks sprang a leak, and the other had engine trouble. So, they had ton turn around.
Amundsen sadly died on his rescue mission in 1928, in the Artic after much of progess was made.
Roald Amundsen as a young boy in Christiania, 1875
Roald Amundsen and His North Pole Expedition group (1925)
1. When and Where was Roald Amundsen Born?
a) Sarpsborg, December 16, 1825
b) Fredrikstad, January 29, 1893
c) Borge, July 16, 1872
d) GreenLand, April 3, 1852
"The Life of Roald Amundsen" 9-4-13
"Explores of the Millennium" 9-3-13
"Roald Amundsen" 9-4-13
2. Where/When did Roald Amundsen die?
a) Antartica, 1945
b) Barents Sea, 1928
c) North Pole, 1910
d) South Pole, 1899
3. Amundsen was the First to reach the ---------- in 1911.
b) South Pole
c) North Pole
d) Barents Sea
4. When did he decide to be an explorer?
a) at the age 8
b) when his mother died
c) at the age 13
d) at the age 24
5. When did Amundsen reach the South Pole?
6. In his lowlights what happened to the plane when they tried to fly over the North Pole?
a) He had to turn back
b) He crashed
c) He continued