Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Francisco Franco
Francisco Paulino Hermenegildo Teódulo Franco y Bahamonde
He acquired the title of Generalissimo during his reign.
Antecedents of Francisco Franco
- Came from a military family
- He was catholic
- Military chief before becoming dictator
- He attended private schools
- He wanted to have a sea- based military career (as his father and grandfather)
- He was known for his brutal character
- He commanded the revolutionary group that won the Spanish Civil War
Secret police and paramilitary groups
- Franco's secret police were called the Nationalists and the National Catholicism.
Actions taken by
Born on December 4th, 1892 in Ferrol, Spain.
Franco was born into a military family. He served in Spanish Morocco from 1910 to 1927. He led attacks against Moroccan nationalists and in 1927 was promoted to full general and made principal of Saragossa Military Academy.
He stayed out of politics until he was ordered to put down a strike by coal miners in the Asturias. By 1936, Franco was military chief. In July 1936, Franco lead a revolt against the Popular Front. He rose to power during the bloody Spanish Civil War when, his Nationalist forces overthrew the democratically elected Second Republic.
In October 1936, Franco was appointed generalissimo of Nationalist Spain and head of state.
Gabriela Lee, Sofia Jacinto & Salomón Piña
Semi-fascism and nationalism
Goals: Glorification of the past, he wasn't interested in conquering other nations, he just wanted to create an unified nation. Also, he wanted to include the church in the state and strengthen the catholic influence.
History.com Staff. "Francisco Franco - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com." History Canada | Videos, TV Schedule & Watch Full Episodes Online. A+E Networks, 2009. Web. 05 Mar 2014. <http://www.history.com/topics/francisco-franco>.
"General Francisco Franco." History Learning Site. 2013. Web. 05 Mar 2014. <http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/general_francisco_franco.htm>.
Ping, Dan. "The Spanish Case: Was it Fascism?: Francisco Franco." University of Michigan, Web. 5 Mar 2014. <http://www.sitemaker.umich.edu/spanishcase/francisco_franco>.
" Ideology and Politics - Franco's Spain." Franco's Spain - Home. 2014. Web. 5 Mar 2014. <http://www.820079040705759037.weebly.com/ideology-and-politics.html>
During Franco's reign, the economy was restored. There were three main factors which contributed to the improvement of the economy of Spain.
2. The foreign investment (USA)
3. The emigrant remittances. More than 3 million Spaniards emigrated to other countries. This provided the country with much needed monetary envoys.
- He also implemented the “Plan de Desarrollo” where he had to free some control over industry in order to face the economic crisis.
- Hundreds of thousands of Republicans were imprisoned or killed.
- 'New State' system, it was based on the fascist ideas of unquestioning loyalty, the denial of individual rights and freedoms and state intervention in economic and social management.
-He created alliances with Germany (Hitler) in order to stabilize his country.
-He sent the “Blue Division” to aid the Germans in combat against the Russians.
During his rule, trade unions were banned, strikes were forbidden, divorce and abortion was illegal, political parties were outlawed, there was no freedom of speech, press and religion, civil marriage was banned and the media was silenced.
He also wanted to restore Catholicism.
"Frente de juventudes" was a section of Falange created by Franco´s regime in 1940, for coaching and political indoctrination of young Spaniards according to the principles of the Movement.
His political party was the:
Spanish Phalanx of the Assemblies of the National Syndicalist Offensive (Falange)
Spain before Franco was a monarchy under the rule of Alfonso XIII
but it was held in place by the military dictatorship of Primo de Rivera
It is claimed that the dictatorship of de Rivera was already the first step into the civil war.
Because of a corruption scandal in 1935 the ruling centre-right coalition collapsed and new elections were held, the Popular Front blamed the Opposition with the plotting against the republic and the opposition auccused the of a wide-scale electoral fraud. This conspiracy against the Popular Front began to take shape and it all ended with the overthrow of the government by the army led by Francisco Franco.
The principal impact of the WW1 in the Spanish economy was by influence on the exterior trade
- Increase of exportation.
- Strong decrease of imports.
- High benefits in some sectors (mining industry of the coal, manufacturing industry, banking, maritime transport and commercial activities)
- Industrial crisis after the war and reinforcement of the economic nationalism.
- High benefits in most of the economic activities between 1915 and 1920.
The dictatorship of Primo de Rivera
- Growth and modernization
- Industrial expansion
- Exterior Trade in growth (especially the imports)
- To avoid problems of overproduction in the industrial sector the Regulatory Committee of the Industrial Production was created.
- Ambitious plan of public works and increase of the expense of the State.
The Second Republic
- Impact of the economic international crisis
- Deterioration of the managerial expectations
- Carner's fiscal reform (20-12-1932)
- The agrarian reform (14-9-1932)
- The Spanish economy met protected from the crisis
The influence of the church on the society was restricted as much as possible and civil marriages as well as divorces were introduced.