Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Church and the Changing World
Transcript of The Church and the Changing World
Impact of the Enlightenment— 1750–1850
See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Diety dwells in bodily form.
What was the Enlightenment?
An intellectual movement that stressed:
Reason as the way to truth
a world based on perfectly ordered natural laws
an optimistic belief in human ability to make "progress"
In other words,
A fundamental shift in the way people saw themselves, the world around them, and their role in that world.
posits a deity who created an orderly Universe
rejects revelation as an authority
relies on observation of natural world and "reasonable" conclusions