Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Past Continuous and Past Simple
Transcript of Past Continuous and Past Simple
To talk about something that was happening around a particular time in the past.
were you doing
at 8 o’clock last night? I was
- In 1994 he
in a small town in Poland.
- At 6 o’clock on Saturday morning we
to the airport.
- We often use them together.
a) The past continuous
describes a 'longer background’
situation and the past simple
describes the action or events.
- When I woke up this morning,
it was raining and my father
was singing in the kitchen.
b) The ‘action’ written in past simple
tense interrupts the ‘situation’
written in past continuous tense.
- I was playing a computer game
when the doorbell rang.
Most of verbs
Add -ing to the verb:
do - doing
The Past Simple and the Past Continuous
Let's play a game:
They are not used in the continuous tense. Verbs related to thoughts and feelings such as: believe, know, understand, want, think, feel, like, love, smell, taste, hear.
Spelling rules: -ING form
Drop the e and add -ing:
make - making
when', 'while' and 'as'
are important time markers. They can be used with the past simple or the past continuous part of the sentence.
'when I arrived at the
restaurant, he was talking
to somebody on the phone.'
'As I was walking down the
street, I met my old teacher.'
Double the last consonant and
swim - swimming
Double the last consonant (if stressed), add -ing.
commit - committing
*whisper - whispering
Change the ie to -y and add -ing:
die - dying
Let's watch a