Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Population Limiting Factors
Transcript of Population Limiting Factors
What are limiting factors?
Limiting factors are conditions from the environment that limit the growth of a species
A population is a group the same type or species of animal that live in the same area
The Way out
1. Be able to analyze the dynamics of a population with and with out limiting factors.
Examples of density dependent:
What are some examples of things that could cause a population of animals to decrease in size?
Availability of food
Proximity to others of the same species
There are two types of limiting factors: 1. Density Dependent 2. Density Independent
Limiting factors keep a population from increasing indefinitely
Refers to the interaction of predator and prey. Predation increases as the density of a population increases
Outbreaks of disease tend to occur the more frequently when the population density increases
The likely hood of parasites increase as population size or density increases
When density increases to a size that resources such as food and space become limited individuals in a population must compete for available resources
Does not depend on other members of that population. Examples are natural disasters and human activity
Identifying Density Dependent and Density independent factors
1. In the north arctic the pack ice has begun to melt due to global warming. In turn the polar bear population has begun to decrease. What type of limiting factor population is this known as?
Identifying Density Dependent and Density independent Factors
2. Grey wolves learned that they were easily able to cross pack ice and enter Newfoundland. As a result the Newfoundland population of moose start to decline. What type of limiting factor is being described?
Identifying Density Dependent and Density Independent Factors
3. Due to extreme heat and lace of rainfall in the forest of Colorado, a large forest fire erupts. As a result, the mountain bluebird population drops drastically. What type of limiting factor is being displayed?
is linked to limiting factors
Carrying capacity is the number of individuals of a species that an ecosystem can support.