Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
PTA Presentation for IB MYP 2/3/13
Transcript of PTA Presentation for IB MYP 2/3/13
What will my student
experience in the
International Baccalaureate (IB)
Middle Years Programme?
What is the International Baccalaureate (IB)
Middle Years Programme?
* International Baccalaureate (IB)
- 3500 schools
- 144 countries
- 1,000,000+ students
* Middle Years Programme (MYP)
- Inclusive of all students 6-10
* Promotes Critical Thinking
- open-ended questioning
- project-based learning
- remediation & enrichment Instruction
* more student & teacher reflection
* more student presentations
* more units based on essential questions
* more rubric-based assignments
* more IB Learner Profile included in lessons World Language
* Language B as core class
* French & Spanish
* 5 year progression in same language
* High school credit at WRMS Timeline
* April 1, 2013 - Application for Authorization due
* Fall 2013 - Verification Visit
* January 2014 - Official Authorization Why the emphasis on 21st Century
teaching and learning? "Assessment is authentic when we directly examine
student performance on worthy intellectual tasks." IB Learners strive to be:
* inquirers * risk-takers
* open-minded * caring
* knowledgeable * balanced
* thinkers * principled
* communicators * reflective Strategic Plan Goals
#1: Each student demonstrates BCSD 21st Century Student Performance Indicators
to ensure preparedness for college, career, and citizenship.
#2: Every student receives a rigorous curriculum that prepares them for college
and is supported by challenging, inspiring, and relevant instruction.
#3: Our students are prepared for a multicultural and multilingual world.
#4: We work as a community to develop and support the whole child. Language Learning Supports Academic Achievement
There is a correlation between language learning and…
• Higher academic achievement on standardized tests
• Increased linguistic awareness
• Students’ ability to hypothesize in science
• Higher scores on SAT and ACT tests Language Learning Provides Cognitive Benefits to Students
There is a correlation between bilingualism and…
• Metalinguistic skills
• Memory skills
• Problem-solving ability
• Improved verbal and spatial abilities
• Offset of age-related cognitive losses Language Learning Affects Attitudes and Beliefs about Languages and Cultures
• Research suggests that language learners develop a more positive attitude toward the target language and/or the speakers of that language. Benefits of Language Learning Options for DI Students
Choice in Language Study:
• Continue Spanish at a level that meets their needs and proficiencies
• Choose to begin studying French
Choice in Social Studies (Humanities in MYP):
• Continue studying humanities in Spanish
• Choose to study humanities in English
*DI students will have these same options each semester at the high school level, as well.
*For students that continue the study of Spanish and/or humanities in Spanish, the level of Spanish they reach, as well as the content courses taken in Spanish can be annotated on their transcripts. Goals for our Dual Immersion Program
* High levels of proficiency in their first language.
* High levels of proficiency in the second language.
* High academic expectations at each grade level in both languages.
* Positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors. ¡muchas gracias Thank you!