Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Roles of Women in Religion
Transcript of Roles of Women in Religion
Where?: Muhammad 570-632 a.d. a.d. 622, marked the beginning of the
Muslim Era The Holy Quran (Koran) History Mecca Important Information: Allah The Holy Quran (Koran) Rules of Prayer The Pillars
Arkan Wajibat (Essential Facts) Invalidation
Prayer Roles of Women: Primary Role :
* Upbringing of children
* being a dutiful wife Marriage: * Right to Refuse
*Right to Divorce (in certain cases)
* Arranged Marriages by Consent
* Views of Polygyny "But treat them equally...
and if you cannot,
then one [wife] is better" Education: * Allowed or Not? *Education for You...
Why do they cover themselves? Can Muslim Women participate in politics?
The Saudi King granted
women seats on the
advisory council for
the 1 st time. Current
Event: January 11, 2013 * best education
* professional positions in virtually every sector. Masoumeh Ebtekar
* first woman to serve as Vice-President of Iran when the reformists came to power Shehrbano "Sherry" Rehman Tansu Penbe Çiller
* Turkish economist, politician
* 22nd Prime Minister of Turkey
* She is Turkey's first and only female prime minister to date.
Diah Permata Megawati Setiawati Sukarnoputri
* She served as the President of Indonesia from 23 July 2001 to 20 October 2004.
* She was the country's first female President and the fourth woman to lead a predominantly Muslim nation. Rokia Afzal Rahman
* Elected Vice President of the
International Chamber of Commerce
Friday, September 14, 2012 * The Taliban in the name of Islam, has
forced professional women to give up their jobs and prohibited girls from attending
school. *Women freely function in society and hold responsible positions in many areas, but until only a few years ago they could not vote. * More than 20% of judges are women. Egypt Iran Pakistan * Elected Pakistan's Ambassador to the US on November 23, 2011
* Federal Minister for Information and Broadcasting from March 2008 until March 2009. Turkey Indonesia Bangladesh Kuwait Afghanistan Morocco As the 2007 Gallup World Poll reveals, majorities of Muslims, some in the most
conservative Muslim societies, support women's equal rights.
• Male dominated political system
• Islam tightly control daily life of females
• Restictions on females
• Tread lightly with religious clerics
Requirements of Women Council Members
• Enter building through special gates
• Reserved seats
• Special worshiping place
• Screen separating men and women Political Notes Population Concentration: Michigan *Dearborn: 29,181 * 1.2 % of Population New Jersey 0.9% of Population Massachusetts 0.8% of Population * 48% of Arabs live in just five states: California, Florida, Michigan, New Jersey, and New York By City:
1. New York City had the largest number of Muslims with 69,985
2. Dearborn, Michigan ranked second with 29,181
3. Los Angeles ranked third with 25,673. The Red Crescent:
a Muslim charity modeled after the International Red Cross 1920 1920 1939 1939 Sheik Dawood founds the "Islamic Mission Society" which publishes a magazine entitled, "Muslim Sunrise" 1952 1952 (Until then Islam was not recognized as a legitimate religion.) Muslims in the Armed Services sue the Federal Government to be allowed to identify themselves as Muslims. 1960 1960 The University of Islam schools flourished and drew the attention of the American media. 1972 1972 The Association of
Muslim Scientists is launched 1982 1982 The "Islamic Society of North America" (ISNA) is established, which is now the umbrella organization. 1986 1986 Dr. Isma'il R. Al-Faruqi and his wife are murdered in their home. This Muslim family is responsible for some of the most constructive programs to promote Islam in the United States. 1991 1991 He was the first Muslim to do so. Imam Siraj Wahhaj offers an invocation (opening prayer) to the United States House of Representatives. 1991 Charles Bilal, Kountze, TX becomes the nation's first mayor in an American city. Timeline of Important Muslim Events in America: North America Dearborn, Michigan: Muslim Society As of 2005, Michigan held the largest and still growing Muslim population in the United States and the second largest Arab population outside of the Middle East. Dearborn allows the five-times-per-day Muslim call to prayer to be broadcast over Hamtramck's loudspeakers, the city council voted unanimously in April 2004 to allow it. Unveiling of Women: uncovered or covered? Comments or Works Cited
contributors, W. (2013, January 27). Islam in the United States. Retrieved from Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Islam_in_the_United_States&oldid=535124824
Khalid, A. (2011, April 21). Lifting The Veil: Muslim Women Explain Their Choice. Retrieved from npr: http://www.npr.org/2011/04/21/135523680/lifting-the-veil-muslim-women-explain-their-choice
Zieve, S. (2007, January 11). Michigan: the Islamic capital of the US. Retrieved from Renew America: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/zieve/070111
History of the Quran.(N.D.) Retrieved January 20, 2013 from http://library.thinkquest.org/C0125920/
Life of Prophet Muhammad.(N.D.) Retrieved January 20, 2013 from http://www.religionfacts.com/
Basic Principles of Islam.(N.D.) Retrieved January 20, 2013 from http://www.missionislam.com/discover/
Soraya (Layla) Saatchi (Lecturer on Islamic History), Saeed Khan (Author), Ann Doyle (Author). (June
2012). Issues in Contemporary Islam: The Roles of Muslim Women in America [Radio Broadcast].
Fox News. (March 28 2009). Muslim Women in U.S. Struggle to Balance Western Freedoms and Islamic
Culture. From : http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,511275,00.html#ixzz2JL375RLO
30-days.net. Islam In Dearborn, Michigan. From: (http://www.30-days.net/muslims/muslims-in/