Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transmission of Heat
Transcript of Transmission of Heat
heat transfer through a medium or material without any movement of the medium or material
Materials that conduct heat more rapidly than others are called thermal conductors
Most metals are good thermal conductors
Examples of Thermal Conductors
Poor heat conductors are called insulators
They conduct heat much more slowly
examples of insulators: wood, rubber, asbestos, plastic, glass, water, air and....
Application of conductors
Boilers in a factory or power station have to rapidly convert heat to steam
Radiators have to conduct heat from a hot source before they can warm the air around them.
Thermal insulators are good at keeping heat out AND keeping heat in.
handles of cooking utensils
Convection is the transfer of heat from one place to another by the movement of currents in liquids or gases
Metal grill is heated, which in turn heats the food and the surrounding air inside the grill
The hood traps the heated air inside, which increases the temperature inside the grill