Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Relativistic Energy and mass
Transcript of Relativistic Energy and mass
Energy & Mass
Just as with momentum, our energy term needs to be scaled to accommodate high terms without making the speed exceed the speed of light.
We need to consider 3 terms related to energy:
the total energy
the kinetic energy
the rest energy
The total will be the other two added together. and the rest will be the energy when not moving
To accelerate a particle up to .9c requires work, and then from .9c -.99c requires work find the ratio of the two.
Energy and momentum are closely related. Because of this we say that there is an invariant term, meaning as one changes reference frames this term is constant.
one other principle of note, is that of energy and mass. Because elements have known masses, we can say they have known energies, interchangeably, often shown in MeV.
What is the speed and momentum of a 975 MeV proton.