Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Child Slavery in the Chocolate Manufacturing Process
Transcript of Child Slavery in the Chocolate Manufacturing Process
But under the surface there is so much more to see...
DO YOU LIKE CHOCOLATE?
Where does it come from?
70% of the cocoa that make the
world’s chocolate comes from
the countries in west Africa.
7.2 million tons a year
How is it made?
Be a SMART consumer
Cocoa harvesting is backbreaking and hazardous work, they have to:
- Reach into cocoa trees
- Using dangerous machetes
- Cut down the pods and crack them open
- Extract cocoa beans
Most of this is done by children...
- 300 000 children work in cocoa production in the Ivory Coast, the worlds first cocoa producer.
- The children are between the ages of 12-16, but children as young as 7 works on these farms.
- Their freedom is taken away and they are forced to work 80-100 hours a week (11-14 hours a day).
- The International Cocoa Initiative estimates that there are at least 1 million more child slaves in the cocoa industry (25000 times of the current students in this room).
1. Ivory Coast
How much do we eat?
$110 billion/ year business
Can you name 2 of the top producers of COCOA BEANS?
Can you name 2 of the top consumers of COCOA BEANS?
How much money does the Chocolate industry make per year?
How many child slaves are there in the world?
b) 1 million
c) 500 000
b) 1 million
Where does the majority of the chocolate beans come from?
How old are the child slaves?
12-16 years old
BONUS: Youngest = 7 yrs old
How many hours do they work a day?
11-14 hours a day
How do they get paid?
BONUS: Food, and clothing