Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Decision Making And Conscience
Transcript of Decision Making And Conscience
A Moral Agent
- is the ability to act of your own discretion
- in regards to conscience free will allows you to make your own decisions based on your experiences and morals, without impact from the ideas of others
- is your reason for doing something
- in regards to conscience your motives would be persuaded by what is said to you by your conscience, if your consciencce was informed then stealing a chocolate bar would seem wrong to you but if you had a malformed conscience you would try to rationalize or trivialize your actions
- is the expected outcome of the situation, or what you hope to have happen by doing something
- in regards to conscience your intantions are good if you become friends with someone because you like them and want to get to know them, but if you are just using that person because they have a car and can drive you around then your intentions are bad
What Is A Moral Agent
A Moral Agent is someone that is capable of acting with reference to right and wrong. A Moral Agent is anything that can be held responsible for it's behavior or decisions.
What It Means To Be A Moral Agent
When someone is deemed a Moral Agent, it does not necessarily mean that they are successfully making moral deccisions. It means that they are in a category that enables them to be blamed. If someone is unable to be blamed, then they do not have rights. Being a moral agent means that one can be held responsible for their actions whether they are good or bad. In order to be a moral agent "you must live in a world of scarcity rather than paradise." If all of your values could be easily and immediately be achieved, you wouldn't have to pick between your moral and nonmaorl goals. and you couldn't practice moral agency.
How Is A Moral Agents Decision Making Impacted By An Informed Conscience
Informed Conscience - focuses on a person making their own decisions in regards to right and wrong
A Moral Agent could have a good impact from using their informed conscience. If you have a malformed conscience then you are doing things based on what you have heard from other people and not from what you have figured out on your own. In which case you are already going to make a bad choice because it isn't your choice, it's someone else's. When you use an informed conscience you are using your own moral compass based on what is right and wrong not based off of what your friends think.
Catechism Of The Catholic Church
Conscience enables one to assume responsibility for the acts preformed. If man commits evil, the just judgement of conscience can remain within him as the witness to the universal truth of the good, at the same time as the evil og his particular choice. The vedict of the judgement of conscience remains a pledge of hope and mercy. |in attesting to the fault committed, it calls to mind the forgivness that must be asked, the good that must still be practiced, and the virtue that must be constantly cultivated with the grace of God: we shall….reassure our hearts before him whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything.
Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. “He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience, especially in religious matters.”
Catechism Of The Catholic Church
Faced with a moral choice, conscience can make either a right judgment in accordance with reason and the divine law or, on the contrary, an erroneous judgement that departs from them.
Man is sometimes confronted by situations that make moral judgements less assured and decision difficult. But he must always seriously seek what is right and good and discern the will of God expressed in divine law.
To this purpose, man strives to interpret the data of experience and the signs of the times assisted by the times of prudence, by the advice of competent people, and by the help of the Holy Spirit and his gifts.
Some rules apply in every case:
1) One may never do evil so that good may result from it
2) The golden rule: “whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them.”
3) Charity always proceeds by way of respect for one’s neighbor and his conscience: “thus sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience….you sin against Christ.” Therefore “it is right not to…do anything that makes your brother stumble.”
Development Of One's Conscience
"Your conscience develops as you mature, your sense of right and wrong which began to be formed within your family, becomes increasingly refined with time."
"Your conscience develops as you take account of and follow the norms, values, Christian tradition as guidelines for your conscience."
"Your conscience helps you deal with your moral failures and sins. Through your faults you become aware of your weakness and fragility as a human being and of your need for support from others, especially from God.
- is the inner feeling or voice viewed as acting as a guide to the rightness or wrongness of your behavior
- your conscience can be influenced by many things, such as the people around you, conscience is important when decision making because the things that your conscience is telling you are signs that what you are doing is either good or bad
- is the mental and moral qualities you have
- your character can say a lot about your conscience, if you are someone who doesn't follow the rules and isn't very nice to others then you probably do not have a good conscience, or your conscience has been affected in a negative way
- means you will often not choose the true good because your judgement is clouded by faulty reasoning, faulty values, misinformation, immoral actions, justifing actions as a means to an end
- this kind of conscience can be harmful in many ways because when you have a misinformed conscience you are often not doing things that are considered moraly correct within a society
Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some with depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared.