Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Food Stamps (SNAP)

No description

Brittany Clayborne

on 3 October 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Food Stamps (SNAP)

Group Members
Food Stamps (SNAP)
Lakara & Debbie
What is SNAP?
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
"Food Stamp Program" (the former name) was set in place for the help of low income families to be able to purchase a wide variety of foods. Often times funding is available through the government, but most states operate their own SNAP funds
History of SNAP
This program has been in affect since 1934 operating under the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Back then a system had been in place to allow for subsidized purchase of groceries, instead of buying food for full price.
It wasn't until the 60s, under President Lyndon Johnson that the Food Stamp Act made the program a permanent part of our society. (1964)
Also, discrimination prohibited against buyers
History of SNAP (continued)
The next Food Stamp Act which took place in 1977, made eligibility much more strict so that only the true needy families would be able to partake in such a phenomenal program. Though funding was found through the federal and state funding, the federal system was still covering over 50% of all funding available for SNAP; over 20 million families were participating by 1980 and over 28 million are taking part at the present time.
Who Qualifies/statistics
People who qualify for food stamps are US citizens, US national or have status as a qualified alien.
-A qualified alien is a legal immigrant child under 18:
*Blind or disabled legal immigrants
*Cuban or Haitian entrants, etc.
Most abled body people between the ages of 18-60 must be employed or register for work to receive SNAP
College Students are qualified under certain stipulations
Hunger Trends

Though such a strong system has been in place for almost 80 years, the hunger in the United states have not drastically changed.
Though it would seem to be a great help, most families have to qualify for the amount of funding needed to feed everyone in their household; with state limits and regulations, some of the working poor still don't qualify, no matter how hard things may seem.
Bread For the World insist that ".. In the United States, hunger is not caused by a scarcity of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty."
Current Funding and community impact.
• In 2012, it helped almost 47 million low-income Americans to afford a nutritious diet in a typical month.
• In 2012 $81,000,000,000 was spent on the SNAP program alone.
• Almost 92% went directly to benefits that households used to purchase food. The other 8% went towards state administrative costs.
• Participation of this program is increasing, causing the 81 billion dollars to be spread out farther between families.
• The average SNAP recipient received $133.41 a month in 2012.
• Almost 47 million low-income Americans were helped by this program.
• The average five person household receives an average of $793 per month.

The Debate (republican side)
They want to cut food stamps by $39 billion during next decade
Thinks growth had been fueled by allowing states to wave eligibility requirements, allowing more people to enroll in the program than the law originally intended
The goal is to limit the public assistance program to those who qualify and close loopholes to those playing the system
The Debate: the Democrat Side
The proposed cuts are to high but they are willing to negotiate
Believe it's the nation's strongest defense against hunger and poverty
1 in 5 have said that they have used food stamps at one point in time
They have denied the lastest bill along with 12 republicans to make cuts.
Groups that support SNAP
Coalition on human needs
National Grocers Association
Food Marketing Institute
Alliance to End Hunger
Work sited

Full transcript