Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of LGBT SafeZone
Gay & Lesbian Identity Formation
LGBT SafeZone Training
What's This Safe Zone All About?
2) Increase Understanding & Awareness
3) Challenge Biases
4) Provide Sense of Safety
5) Provide Resources
6) Practical Application
7) Create Culture of Advocacy
8) Build Sense of Community
2) "I" Statements
3) Vegas Rule
4) Right to "Pass"
5) "Try On" the Process
that heterosexuality is
to homosexuality or bisexuality
homosexuals or homosexual behavior.
The habits, attitudes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.
The Ultimate Goal: Create Acts of Allyhood
An ALLY is someone who
the misinformation and mistreatment caused by heterosexism and homophobia.
An ally is an individual who works to end oppression personally and professionally through
of an oppressed population.
Although the term “Ally” primarily refers to heterosexuals, it is important for us all to remember that LGBTQ individuals also need to be allies to each other by actively supporting the needs of
Assistant Director of
my name is
Where are you from?
What brought you here?
What do you want answered today?
so... how would you define
note: terms & definitions are constantly evolving. keep yourself informed about identities, and if you're unsure - ask!
these definitions & many more
found in your participant manual
deeply held beliefs
on multiple levels
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
what if it
COMING OUT as LGB
things to keep in mind
coming out is a
one's sexual identity with others.
is a risk: it can be
and ultimately allows for more
be forced & has no age limit
students may be out to
on campus, but not everyone
Top 10 Things to Unlearn About LGB(Q) folks
1. You can't spot a gay person by the way
they dress or act.
4. Identifying as LGBQ is not a mental illness or a psychiatric condition.
2. HIV/AIDS isn't an LGB disease
5. Lesbians do not simply need the "right" man, nor do gay men need the
"right" woman to set themselves straight.
3. There's no brainwashing involved.
6. Bisexuals are NOT simply looking for the "best of both worlds."
10. Things are NOT equal for LGBQ folks in the United States, even though it
is getting better.
7. LGBQ people are not unhealthy/unfit parents.
8. There is still no federal legislation that protects LGB individuals from
workplace discrimination solely based on their sexual orientation
9. Identifying as LGB is not just a phase one goes through.
If we do not act now, homosexuals will own America! If you and I do not speak up now,
this homosexual steamroller will literally crush all decent men, women, and children who get in its way
... and our nation will pay a terrible price.
- Jerry Falwell -
Homophobia can sound like this: