Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Place value
1. What is the place value of the 4 in 7,348?
2. What is the value of the 6 in 13,631?
3. What number is 5 times greater than 2? Why Place Value? Standards Place vs. Place Value Value Represented vs. Value Times the Value vs.
Times Greater Than Students need to accurately answer questions. Teachers need to ask the questions for which they would like answered. Praise effort but recognize only the correct answer.
For example, order of operations. Terminology and Language need to be more precise. 4.NBT Generalize place value understanding…
1. …a digit in one place represents ten times what it represents in the place to its right…
2. Read and write multi-digit whole numbers using base-ten numerals, … 5.NBT Understand the place value system.
1. …a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
3. Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths.
a. Read and write decimals to thousandths using base-ten numerals, number names, and expanded form,…
b. Compare two decimals to thousandths based on meanings of the digits in each place, using >, =, and < symbols to record the results of comparisons. What is the place value of the 4 in 7,348?
Correct Answer: 10 The 4 is in the tens place, however the place value of a digit in the tens place is 10.
Places have names, place values are numerical. Place value does not depend on the digit in that place. You do not need to know the digits used to answer questions about the value.
Item 4274; a number greater than one million What is the value of the 6 in 13,631?
Correct Answer: 6 The value of 6 is always 6. The 6 is in the hundreds place which has a place value of 100. A 6 in the hundreds place represents 600. The value of a digit is always that digit. The value it represents changes based on its place in a number. What number is 5 times greater than 2?
Correct Answer: 12 The reference to times and also to greater shows multiplicative thinking as well as additive thinking. Meet Mondays Jen
Roxanna TEAM Think Through It! Think of asking:
“What number is 5 times 2, greater than 2?”
“Times greater than” and “times less than” are imprecise. How this information can be applied to a student interaction... Item 4274:
Suppose a digit is somewhere in a number greater than one million. What happens to the value represented by the digit if it is moved two places to the left?