Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Simple and Complex Sentences
Transcript of Copy of Simple and Complex Sentences
Simple, Compound, and Complex Sentences
Students of the world, spice up your lives!
A Simple Sentence =
Do you suffer from boring, bland writing?
Do you long to find ways to spice up your writing?
FEAR NOT! THERE IS A SOLUTION!
Solution: Use different types of sentences!
types of sentences:
= has ONE main/independent clause.
Examples of simple sentences:
bright like a diamond.
Let's cook up our own
Combine these simple sentences to make a compound sentence -->
A Compound Sentence =
independent clause +
+ independent clause
Examples of compound sentences:
I am excited for holiday break
I am going to sing a cheerful song.
JAY-Z is an amazing artist
his latest album is genius.
1. Kid Cudi is a rapper. He is from Ohio.
2. Real Housewives of NY is a good show. Real Housewives of Miami is better.
3. Diet Coke isn't good for your health. You should limit your intake.
A complex sentence =
1 independent clause
+ 1 subordinator +
1 OR MORE dependent clauses
Do you remember those
We sure do! Some of the words include:
although, though, even though, while, if, before
Examples of complex sentences:
I love the Xbox game Bioshock Infinite,
Assassin's Creed 3 is way better.
Kid Cudi ever stops making albums
, I will die.
Combine these clauses to make a complex sentence.
1. Belle is a dog. Belle acts like a human.
2. I am having a bad hair day. I slept on the couch last night.
3. English is a lot of work. I will learn a lot this year.
1. Ricky played football, so Maria went shopping.
What in the world is a
for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so
2. When he handed in the homework, he forgot to give
Ms. Kratovil the last page.
3. If I'm not reminded to do my independent reading blog post, I will probably forget to write it.
4. I love Kid Cudi, and I always listen to "Pursuit of Happiness."
5. Because my relatives from Spain are coming for Christmas, I'm going to take them to Five Guys for a real hamburger.
6. Facebook is fun, but twitter is way cooler.
Write 2 simple sentences: