Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Dispersed Collective Behavior
Transcript of Dispersed Collective Behavior
(MASS BEHAVIOR) RUMOR VS.GOSSIP RUMOR PANIC
MASS HYSTERIA FASHIONS VS. FADS - a form of highly dispersed collective behavior. It includes widespread ideas, attitudes and beliefs communicated to the decision-makers via polls and surveys to be taken into account in political decisions. 1. Rumor VS. Gossip
2. Public Opinion VS. Propaganda
3. Panic VS. Mass Hysteria
4. Fashion VS. Fads GOSSIP - also known as unsubstantiated information
- spreads informally, often by word of mouth. characteristics of rumor:
1. Rumors are more likely to emerge in a climate of uncertainty when information is scarce but in need so that people will believe whatever is available;
2. Rumors are not fixed stories, they vary and change as they are passed from individual to individual, several competing versions might emerge;
3. Rumors are difficult to stop. Individuals might continue to believe a rumor even when accurate information has been provided (Tannen, 1990).
4. Rumors may be central in the development of mobs, riots and panics and other forms of collective behavior;
5. The mass media and the Internet have accelerated the speed of transmission of rumors. -gossip is a rumor regarding specific individuals and their personal lives. They may be used as a form of social control: praising or shaming certain individuals reinforces conformity to norms of particular groups.
-is also a form of entertainment and a very lucrative business; from gossip columnists to publications such as The National Enquirer, the celebrity gossip business has a very large audience. PUBLIC OPINION
OPINION - is any information designed to actively shape and influence public opinion.- information presented with the intention of shaping public opinion. It can be accurate or false, positive, or negative. PROPAGANDA - Panic is a form of localized collective behavior by which people react to some stimulus with emotional, irrational, and often self-destructive behavior. Generally some threat provokes a panic.
- Crowds can engage in PANIC whether the threat is real or imagined. Panics, however, require certain circumstances to occur: members of the crowd must believe that not all of them are going to escape, that there is not enough time or that the means of escape are going to be insufficient for all of them. PANIC MASS HYSTERIA - is a form of dispersed collective behavior in which people respond to a real or imagined event with irrational, frantic behavior.
- a fairly rare type of collective behavior where a dispersed collectivity reacts emotionally and irrationally to a real or perceived threat. Relating mass hysteria with panic is slightly different because panic is more spur of the moment.
- People when in a panic real in different mods because they come from different backgrounds. Panic can be seen in a Pub where a fight breaks out and people follow different behaviors. Some don't move where others go straight in for a fight. Some turn there heads away.
- But Mass hysteria is brought on by a rumor from one person and its spread real Fast and people don't get the true story which leads to black and white thinking
- Mass hysteria is very similar to panic except that it tends to last longer and can be spread by the mass media DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PANIC AND MASS HYSTERIA - a form of collective behavior where large numbers of people enthusiastically embrace some activity or object for a short period of time.
- fads emerge out of nowhere and abruptly disappear as fast they appeared without generating a long-term.
- Fads that had disappeared sometimes reappear briefly and are embraced enthusiastically again also for a short period of time is called NOSTALGIA.
-Very short fads are called CRAZES. F
D FASHION - a social pattern favored for a time by a large number of people.
- it is transitory and occur for two reasons:
1. the future-orientation of people in industrial societies
2. the socially mobile who use consumption patterns to evaluate social standing.
- Fashion is often used as a marker of social distinction and good taste. - Philippine fashion can be separated into 2 groups:
1. The first group follows latest fashion trends and implements them.
2. The second group creates fashion and design statements on their own – and sometimes get a few ideas from stylish professionals.
- In Philippine fashion, the number one is way more common. PHILIPPINE FASHION: Top 10 Fashion Trends in the Philippines: 1. Babydoll dresses similarities & differences 1. If fads seem to appear out of nowhere, fashion trends appear in the upper classes as they involve luxury consumption.
2. Fashion tends to last longer than fads and to disappear more gradually.
3. While fads are truly "passing fancies," fashions tend to reflect fundamental human values and social patterns that evolve over time. 2.‘80’s ate us 3. Adorable Bubbles 4. Wear Your Boyfriend 5.Patriotic Shirts 6. Big bangles and “look-at-me” accessories 7. Wedges, sleek pumps 8. Recessionista Fashionista 9. Ecofashion 10. Patent leather