Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Contemporary Issues in Sport
Transcript of Contemporary Issues in Sport
M5 - Explain the effects of four contemporary issues on a selected sport
D5 - Analyse the effects of four contemporary issues on a selected sport Contemporary? What does it mean?
What is an issue?
What are some contemporary issues? Contemporary - Means CURRENT, what is happening now?
An issue is a 'topic of discussion about which people have different views'.
Contemporary sporting issues:-
- Deviance e.g. Anti-crime initiatives and social exclusion, gamesmanship, drugs and banned substances.
- Education and school sport
- Child Protection
- Health initiatives
- Religion and culture
- Gender issues Racism What is racism?? 'Holding biased and unfair views about other nationality or ethnically different people, and treating them inferior' Write down any contemporary incidents of racism in football.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21610508 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jk4vr What is being done to prevent racism?? 5 Mins - Research what organsations or bodies have been created to eradicate?? What are there aims?
Why did they start?
How are they funded?
What are there intervention strategies? Organsiations/Bodies Key Words Equality (Inequality)
Ethnic or Ethnic Groups
Minority Gender Issues What does this mean?
Examples.... Where does it originate from? History Dates back to the Victorian age, Men and Women saw
women as objects of beauty and should not expose
flesh, perspire or be exposed to contact sports. Key Words Stereotype - a widely held but fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing
Socialisation - The process by which people learn acceptable cultural beliefs and behaviour including hoe to interact with people who are different from themselves. Major League baseball player quoted
"Women were not created by God to be physical. God created women to feminine" There was a myth that cycling would ruin there chances
having children. What is the impact of this? Attitude
Grassroots Try and write down a comment about each strand that may be affected. http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/08/01/the-highest-paid-female-athletes/ Women receive less than 5% of men's coverage in national newspapers. Can you name 1 English netball player?
Captain of the England girls football team?