Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Relationship Maintenance
Three Main Dialectics
Presented by Lyndsay Rule, Brittney Lopez, Alyson Prewit, Erin Boren, Sapphire Serrano
Connection — Autonomy
Five Core Principles
1. Ownership and control of private information
2. Personal privacy rules
3. Confidant and co-owner relationship
4. Coordinating mutual privacy boundaries
5. Boundary turbulence
Communication Privacy Management Theory
of Sandra Petronio
The Interactional View
1. One cannot
2. Communication = Content + Relationship
3. A relationship depends on how communication is punctuated.
4. All communication is either
Changing the System
We — Me
of Private Information
Integration - Separation
The need to be your own person and do things independently
The need to be close to each other. The need to link actions and decisions.
Stability - Change
Consistency, reliability and dependability within a relationship
Originality, freshness and uniqueness within a relationship
The desire to share intimate ideas and feelings
The desire to maintain privacy
Being overwhelmed and escaping the tension by ending the relationship
RULES FOR CONCEALING AND REVEALING
Five factors play into the way we develop our own privacy rules:
Behavior of each person
by the behavior of another
Punctuate = Cause & Effect
Parent vs Child
Changing the game by changing the rules
What is it?
A dynamic knot of contradictions in personal relationships; an unceasing interplay between contrary or opposing tendencies.
Relational Dialectics is like a game of tug-of-war in a relationship in which, rather than winning, both individuals must give and pull to maintain relational fluidity.
of Leslie Baxter &
of Paul Watzlawick
Dialectic tension is not a problem to be solved, but an occasion for a relationship to change and grow.
Celebrate your unity and diversity!
How to maintain a successful relationship